1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How else do I say this....but are LARGE morning poo droppings normal??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by maggiegigs, Oct 12, 2011.

1. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    I have several orpingtons and each morning (early) I find extremely large excretements in the paddock. I know my "big girl" is one of the worse culprits. There is normal sized droppings in the coop under their roost each morning.... but this is after they leave the coop to go free range. Good grief!!!!!!!!!!! My two dogs are smaller. They have access to plenty of grass and I always leave their layer feed inside the coop filled... for additional food if need be. I throw out a small handful of raw organic sunflower seeds mid morning and sometimes some left over Cat Food if my cat, Guinness does not finish it. Even that is only one or two tablespoons between all four. So the questions is: Is this normal?
    Girls are content and healthy with big fat red combs and waddles. Thanks anyone.[​IMG]

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    If they have some kind of "manners", they will wait to get outside before the morning poopie, and yes, I've seen some wicked huge ones. Also, if you have a broody, they hold it forever, and when they go outside -it's look out!!

3. peachachecha

peachachecha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    A week or so ago one of my three had a HUGE poo, almost the size of a golfball! I guess there are some girls out there that have large poos on occasion.

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    This is new for my BO but lately she's hardly been pooping at night. Which was FREAKING me out. So I've been stuffing her full of scrambled eggs, meal worms, crickets, etc. because it appeared she wasn't eating. But now I'm noticing these huge golf ball sized poos right in front of the gate in the morning. And they are fresh.

So I'm thinking she's decided that it's not lady like to launch those off the roosting bar at night and she's holding it until she gets outside and is standing in front of the gate where they wait and watch for me, hoping I'll bring them morning treats.

5. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Lucky me [​IMG] ...I get at LEAST a dozen and a half HUGE poops every morning, followed by more during the day. Mine free range, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not...and I swear, some of it is as big as the donkeys poos![​IMG]

6. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Suches, GA
    I've found that the largest poos come from my matrons, who have "well-developed" vents. My younger girls always did (and still do to an extent) dozens of itty biddies but now that they're laying, the poos are getting a bit more robust. I'd much rather clean up golf balls than a forest of itty bitties.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Quote:My girls that are laying eat a TON more than my girls in waiting.[​IMG]

8. Allbreeds

Allbreeds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    Checotah, ok
    [​IMG] I will have to start looking at morning poo!

9. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    My girls must have no manners. The poo under the roost is gigantic! Dog size (and I have Am Bulldogs who weigh 57, 83 and 98 lbs).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  10. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    just be glad they're not broody poops!

I physically can't smell most things, eg smoke, off milk, or rotten eggs, I have had two operations on my nose/sinus to try and improve my breathing and sense of smell, hasn't worked really...

BUT!

even I gag at the smell of a broody poop! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by