How exciting!

meant2bemommie

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
California
My babies will not be able to use a coop for a few weeks but we will be building one this weekend.

How big should a coop be for 6 full grown Black Australorps (hope I spelled that right).

This is the general rule for square footage: 4 square foot per chicken inside the coop, 10 square feet per chicken inside the run. A little bigger is always better. Hope this helps!

*Just so you know- you can use the search tab at the top of the page and search for more information about this topic. This is lots and lots of information under the "Coop & Run Design and Construction" section.

Have fun! Enjoy your chicks!

Sorry forgot to add that under that section you can also find lots of photos of coops and plenty of different designs.

Hope this helps! Good luck building your coop this weekend!

4 sq. ft. per bird minimum so 4' x 6'. I would build it bigger because you will probably get more chickens!
lau.gif
There's some school of thought that you can get by with less sq. ft. if the birds are out of the coop in a run or if they free range most of the day. You don't need so much space if all they do is roost in there. I still like the idea of a large coop because you never know when and how long inclement weather will be. I think you need 1 nest or laying box per 4 pullets/hens. I want 1 per bird in case they all go BROODY at the same time!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom