how far do polish chickens roam

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ashley12, Feb 27, 2009.

1. ashley12

ashley12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Kentucky
    hello, i just joind byc. this is my first post. i am getting ready to order some silver laced polish chicks, and i was wondering how far they roam as adults. i know roaming distance depends on the type of chicken, but i don't know much about polish chickens. any info will help greatly.

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    The two I have don't roam far from the coop.
    They do get "lost" though. As you know they have a headfull of feathers and it greatly reduces their sight so they have a tendancy to get separated from the rest of the flock. The will wonder behind the shed or behind the wood pile or something and then realize they lost the rest of the flock and start clucking and clucking and clucking until they stumble back upon an flock mate.

I named mine Wrong Way and Which Way...for obivous reasons.

With this breed to don't walk up behind them, you can walk up on them and almost step on them before they realize you are there, they then generally fly straight up. It really freaks them out.

3. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i found one in the middle of the desert one time...
    i just assume someone DUMPPED IT because the closest house was about 1 mile away..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by