How far do they go?

Mine are like everyone else's...they go as far as the food is interesting. During the spring/early summer when everything is lush & growing, they probably only used a couple acres. Now that it is dry, the cochins are definitely ranging way out...using all my acreage (7) and wandering down the roadside ditches. I've started running sprinklers in the field to keep them closer in since there are a few people who walk their dogs down our dead end road off-leash...not to mention the neighbor's teenagers who drive like bats out of hell. I have cochins, RIRs, sebright, & assorted ducks at the moment and the cochins are far & away the biggest roamers. I think it has more to do with individual personality than breed.

Mine stay pretty close, but once they start moving along the fence you need to watch out--they will follow the fence, then, at the fencepost (gate open) they will turn and go on down on the other side,right into the neighbors yard. When they realize they aren't 'home' anymore, then they squawk and run back and forth until help comes.

Back
Top Bottom