How far from the wall should I put the roosts?

shinysatins

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
I have Barred Plymouth Rock chickens and a few Midget White turkeys, plus some bantams that will probably end up with their own separate coop eventually. Wondering how far from the walls of the coop the roosts should be.

Thanks,

Shiny

Last edited:
Thanks . . . my walls are 6 feet high, though . . . would 18 inches from the top be too high?

They may need a ramp to go up or you could lower them and let them fly up which is what mine do, I think you will find that if your banties roost in with every one else for a while they wont want to roost in their own are, this happened with mine and they only roosted with the "big girls" for one night and wouldn't go into their own roost again.

I have a BR roo, I've had to move my roost 18 inches from the wall. Everynight he was breaking tail feathers when the roost was closer to the wall.

Keep your bird size in mind when placing them.

Depending on your location 18 inches from the top may be to hot in the summer. Make sure they are higher than the nesr boxes.

Last edited:
10 inches seems doable but a little tight to me. I might go with 12 to 16 inches. If there is a poop board below they can then hop down and turn around if they are being squeezed out by another bird. Just my 2 cents.

I have a BR roo, I've had to move my roost 18 inches from the wall. Everynight he was breaking tail feathers when the roost was closer to the wall.

Keep your bird size in mind when placing them.

Depending on your location 18 inches from the top may be to hot in the summer. Make sure they are higher than the nesr boxes.
I've never got the roost higher than the nest boxes, is this prevent them from roosting in the boxes???

They tend to want to sleep at the highest level. If your nest boxes are higher they will sleep and mess in them at night. I have to clean out a couple of my nest boxes every morning since I've got a couple of girls who don't follow the rules.

we just installed the roost and found that it was too close to the wall. When our big Salmon Faverolle Hen sat on it, her tail was touching the wall and she really did not like that, so everytime that happened she ended up turning around, so I'd go for further away from the wall (not too far).

And yes, if your roost is higher then your nestboxes, that should stop them from roosting in the nestboxes.

Then again, maybe this is a good question for the pro's... is there any cons on having the nestboxes extra low?

Anna

Height is always best for predators. In colorado I want their tails to touch the wall to preserve heat in the winter. That is also why I keep it so close to the roof.

Back
Top Bottom