How far will the hens wander?

About 75% of the time mine will stay within 200-250 feet of the coop. When they do wander off, they usually go no farther than 500 feet, even though they have 5 acres to roam. And the really good thing is they stay away from the road that's probably a little under 200 feet from their coop. I've been letting them free range for about a year now and I have never seen them within 50 feet or less from the road. And hopefully I didn't just jinx myself, lol.
fl.gif

I wish there was a "Thanks" button that I could give each of you a thanks for your posts, but I guess I just did....THANKS for the info. Looks like for the most part y'all have confirmed what I have been thinking all along. I will be working for a bit out in the yard tomorrow and will give it a go and see what happens.

I just got a call from my across the street neighbor. She has had it. Apparently my chickens go on her porch and leave "gifts". I am on a 2.1 acre lot but a lot of it is mountainside. I am trying to figure out what to do. Do I move the coop back or leave them in the small run all day. I can't have her mad at me. Do you think moving them back would help any? They are currently equidistant from the hillside and the road. She doesn't even want them on her property at all (even the horse pasture) in front of her house. Or would you just invest in fencing? Is 3.5 high enough (saw someone cute 7' in half).

Quote:
This is sort of like my situation.

I have recently better enclosed a smaller portion of my previously open yard, but even when they come out of that area they tend to stay near my house. Sometimes they venture just outside of my small property to the woods, but never far, always within in ear range. They usually come when I call. I try to remember to always have food when I call for them! I also give them a lot of treats when they are in their enclosure, a nice sized area, hoping they won't want to leave. My new rooster has never left my yard.

Quote:
I have a 4 foot tall fence perimeter fence, while the chickens do not jump that fence, some do jump the 4 foot cross fencing we have.

If it was me, in your situation, I would invest in fencing the property. Keep the girls in their run until the fencing is done (keep them occupied – hay to scratch thru, large produce to peck/scratch at) because breaking chickens from porch setting can be hard. Then let the birds out to free range again once you are fenced.

If you can afford it, I would recommend a 5 foot – 4 foot does not stop dogs who are interested in your birds. I have an LGD who keeps dogs/coyotes from jumping my fence.

I have a 1/2 acre. I let them out to free-range and for the most part, they stay on the property boundaries to eat grass. However I check them constantly because I have caught them scratching in the neighbors empty wooded lot. The neighbors might not mind, but they have dogs and if the chickens wander too close to them they're dog chow. I have yet to see a chicken read a survey map. They have no clue how far they are "allowed".

I do not let my hens roam on my property due to dogs etc. A neighbor about 1/2 mile away let theirs loose to roam. I had a 4 foot fence that they flew over. My hens later got MS. It was after their roo fought through my fence and bloodied my roo. There is such a thing as biosecurity. We are respondsible for our own pets, chickens, children and livestock. Fence your yard with a tall fence. for your security as well as the neighbors. gloria Jean

Consider following.

Oval repressents existing range with area to right where you do not want them to go.
41527_shifting_range_with_feed_before.jpg

Setup feeding stations (yellow boxes) in other direction, especially around cover. They will spend more time there and likely less time going to neighbor.
41527_shifting_range_with_feed_after.jpg

Back
Top Bottom