How far will true free ranged chickens go?

I have lots of good foraging areas spread out on my property. The cow pasture backing up to my land used to be kept mowed so the chickens liked to range there, it`s no longer in use for grazing and has grown up higher than my head. The new chickens probably couldn`t get thru there if they tried. I purposely cut back on what I feed them to encourage them to forage more when the forage is available.

We are on an unfenced farm, 80 acers. My in laws live "next door" and wish my chickens would come visit lol they stay pretty close to the house and never have I seen them in the road. This is our first spring/summer so time will tell. I'll be interested to see how far they will travel into the corn fields after harvest, they only go two rows in with the corn up now.
Sounds just like my circumstances. :)

If you get them accustomed to a certain sound that is associated with treats, no wrangling necessary. Mine get a (small) daily treat of mealworms and sunflower seeds that I give them out of a blue tumbler cup. I always shake it to get their attention. When mine are out grazing and I want them back in, I shake that cup and within seconds the whole flock bee lines for the run, running over each other and flying into fences, just pure chaos trying to get to that cup! Makes getting them back in easy peasy!

I asked my husband because I'm not good at estimating distance:D...but he thought ours traveled about 800 feet...our property is not fenced in and we live in a hollow with a creek and woods on either side...between having constant access to water from the creek and the feed we dispense, I think they are encouraged to stay close to home...

I asked my husband because I'm not good at estimating distance:D...but he thought ours traveled about 800 feet...our property is not fenced in and we live in a hollow with a creek and woods on either side...between having constant access to water from the creek and the feed we dispense, I think they are encouraged to stay close to home...
Sounds like a lovely place to live. :)

We live in similar situations. Swamp/wetlands, woods, and creeks. We are also along the water so we have beach as well. I have carried my rooster down there befor (trying to show him new spots to forage so he can share with the rest) but he will never go more then 50 yards from his coop.

Also I dont use feed. All natural free range with the occasional treats. So feed is not what's keeping mine close. Any ideas how to get them to venture new areas without moving the coop? Not even further really. 50 yards is far enough. I would just like to see them move more into the wood line instead of the crop line. Or am I asking too much due to the crops?

Mine started out staying very close to the coop and were happy to return there at night, but as time progressed they ventured out farther and farther and a few began spending the night in the trees rather than return to the coop. I didn't mind them exploring our acre and a half, but when they started visiting the neighbor's yard and scratching in her flower beds, I had to rein them in. We have since moved to 44 acres and they have basically repeated the process. At first they stayed close to the barn, but have gradually ventured farther away with time. Since it is a long way to the neighbors flower beds now, I don't have a problem with them roaming where they choose.

Mine started out staying very close to the coop and were happy to return there at night, but as time progressed they ventured out farther and farther and a few began spending the night in the trees rather than return to the coop. I didn't mind them exploring our acre and a half, but when they started visiting the neighbor's yard and scratching in her flower beds, I had to rein them in. We have since moved to 44 acres and they have basically repeated the process. At first they stayed close to the barn, but have gradually ventured farther away with time. Since it is a long way to the neighbors flower beds now, I don't have a problem with them roaming where they choose.
That's quite the distance!

Back
Top Bottom