How far will true free ranged chickens go?

Chickens I had that free ranged the furthest were very capable fliers making them very difficult to catch for critters like foxes and coyotes. Upon detecting the predator the chickens would stop feeding and compress their feathers to take on a more slinky dinosaur look. They would also give low intensity alarm calls intended for flock mates only. If predator closed in, then the birds would start running for cover (trees or barn) and as predator got close close an alarm is produced only when exploding into flight. Some fly for trees where they can land >20 feet up. Others will fly the entire distance back to protection of barn they will land in paddocks or on roof of barn. Dogs milling around barn then would be in position to deal with predator.

I used to slowly drive flocks of game chickens to the edge of where they free-ranged to see sequence used to escape me. Flight speeds I think exceeded 35 mph pretty easy. Most other chicken breeds likely do not have this capacity. Leghorns do not have the smarts or endurance needed.

There are!
A few years back at work I called a patient back into the treatment room and I could see she had been crying. I asked her what was wrong and she said just a few hours prior she was standing at her kitchen sink washing dishes and happened to look up through the window and saw a coyote come charging out of a cornfield and grabbed her favorite hen. So keep your guard up - fields can harbor predators anytime during the day and some (like foxes) will wait for you to turn your back and come in for a quick grab. That happened to my neighbor.

**not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, just wanted you to be aware.
That is sad. I am very aware. I saw a fox not too far away from the coop area a few months back.

Chickens I had that free ranged the furthest were very capable fliers making them very difficult to catch for critters like foxes and coyotes. Upon detecting the predator the chickens would stop feeding and compress their feathers to take on a more slinky dinosaur look. They would also give low intensity alarm calls intended for flock mates only. If predator closed in, then the birds would start running for cover (trees or barn) and as predator got close close an alarm is produced only when exploding into flight. Some fly for trees where they can land >20 feet up. Others will fly the entire distance back to protection of barn they will land in paddocks or on roof of barn. Dogs milling around barn then would be in position to deal with predator.

I used to slowly drive flocks of game chickens to the edge of where they free-ranged to see sequence used to escape me. Flight speeds I think exceeded 35 mph pretty easy. Most other chicken breeds likely do not have this capacity. Leghorns do not have the smarts or endurance needed.
I'm not sure how much endurance my chickens have. I know the brahma probably wouldn't get far. :gig

I'm not sure how much endurance my chickens have. I know the brahma probably wouldn't get far. :gig
Probably less capable than my American Dominiques that give it their all just to fly 50 feet. Hens of those can double what a rooster can do. Too much muscle mass relative to feathers, poor weight distribution, and something about feathers making them too soft for good flight.

My yard is 5 acres and my coops sits on the back edge of the property with a fence line and trees, then crop fields beyond that. For the most part mine have always stayed with 100 yards or less from the coop. After the crops are harvested each fall they love to venture through the fence back there to snack on scraps. I too always yell "chickens" before giving any treat or snacks. 9 times out of 10 if I go outside and yell "chickens" they will all come running.
I am looking forward to the crops being harvested, at least I can see them. :)

IME - I find that the more I let them out into the great beyond, the farther they travel. However, some roosters are more comfortable traveling more, than other roosters. The one I have now, tends to keep his ladies rather close to home.

I have bushes to the north, that he tends to keep his girls out of, where as others took their ladies too. However, (whispering) I have not lost any birds under his leadership, so ...

Mrs K

My experience mimics "centrarchid's" The rule of thumb is that a normal size chicken flock will range over about 25 cares in order to eek out a living. Someone mentioned that their chickens crossed a 3 acre field. If each acre is placed end to end a three acre field is over 600 feet long, at least. When the true distance is calculated that will likely be greater than 10 to 15 acres from one boundary to the other boundary in an + pattern.

If games are involved, they will sometimes go 400 yards from the roost. When such extreme distances are covered, it is usually because they are following a fence row bounded by fields on both sides that provide only poor forage quality. Distance the great but not so line... Young birds do not range as far and especially same can be said for broody hens.

The answer to that timeless question of "Why did the chicken cross the road" was answered by centrarchid. The reason for the Jaywalking chicken is to fill its craw with vittles. In other words the chicken crosses the road out of hunger. The more you feed your flock the less they will tend to wonder like hobos.

Back
Top Bottom