How fast can a guinea move?

Jaybo

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 6, 2013
Cedar Creek, Texas
The reason I'm asking is because we have two dogs that are not to be trusted around smaller creatures. The chickens will be kept in a dog-proof (as much as I can design it to be) area with stout fencing and supervision while the dogs are in that part of the property. The guineas that we plan to get, I would like to have more range for roaming. There's lots for them to forage, and I don't want to deny them that. I'll have to be careful, though, if they can't, as they say, put the pedal down when needed. If they can move quickly enough to get away from a charging hound, I'll feel more secure giving them some wandering room, but if they can't... I'm not in this for expensive dog food.

The dogs mainly have the back yard, so the front yard will be a safe zone, and there are 12 acres of compromise.

Guinea fowl can be wanderers. Although they might well be able to evade your dogs, if constantly harassed they will simply move on to a new home.

I have a chocolate labrador who is very energetic and mostly obedient. I raised the guineas from day-old around the dog, hoping he would get used to them, consider them to be part of the pack and not hurt them. That worked for a while - he would chase them, but not work very hard at it. It was more for sport for him. However, this spring he has been more serious, and he has caught two of my flock.

Now we make sure he is inside the house when we let the guineas out of their coop in the morning (they tend to run around excitedly first thing in the morning and that is too much for hiim to resist) and in the evening when they are coming back. We still have to keep an eye on him to make sure he does not start chasing them during the day. When they are not running or flapping their wings, he can mostly resist chasing them.

The guineas can move pretty fast and will fly up into a tree when chased. The problem is that dogs are smarter, so if they are determined to catch one, they will.

The reason I'm asking is because we have two dogs that are not to be trusted around smaller creatures. The chickens will be kept in a dog-proof (as much as I can design it to be) area with stout fencing and supervision while the dogs are in that part of the property. The guineas that we plan to get, I would like to have more range for roaming. There's lots for them to forage, and I don't want to deny them that. I'll have to be careful, though, if they can't, as they say, put the pedal down when needed. If they can move quickly enough to get away from a charging hound, I'll feel more secure giving them some wandering room, but if they can't... I'm not in this for expensive dog food.

The dogs mainly have the back yard, so the front yard will be a safe zone, and there are 12 acres of compromise.
very fast I live in guinea country where you see every day wild types and I heard some stories that these guinea s outrun man on hunting trips

Jaybo... one thing I see that no one has mentioned here is that if the Guineas get caught behind a fence, with your charging hounds (or any ground predator) hot on their tails that fence suddenly becomes 500 feet tall to the Guineas, they forget they can fly and all they do is run back and forth in a manic panic trying to get through it, not back over it. Easy kill for your hounds (if they are poultry killers).

I have my 5 dogs fenced in on about a 1/2 acre area, 4 foot goat fencing with a strand of hot wire at the top... if any of my Guineas get in the dog's yard when I am not around, they don't get out (alive anyway).

Back
Top Bottom