How fast can a raccoon kill ??? coop wipe out ?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Henny Penny Mom, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Henny Penny Mom

Henny Penny Mom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    I heard commotion in the coop, and till i grabbed my shoes by the door and flashlight and ran down to the barn (about 50 ft away) there were 3 dead pigeons and one seriously injured stunned rooster, and one other injured pigeon...... I'm guessing i was between 3-4 minutes getting to the barn... and i caught (cornered) the HUGE %^@!(*& raccoon in the barn pen where they are supposed to be secure at night !

I was just wondering if its possible for a coon to kill THAT fast ?? non of the killed animals were eaten (yet)-

I had murders happen in the barn a few days ago and i set the live trap and did catch a racoon... but that day when i went out the the barn in the am, the chicken was eaten- (mostly eaten anyway) and another chicken was murdered, and 3 baby chicks were abducted and their bodies never found.

so the live trap is set again- I was not able to kill the racoon in the barn since I didnt have a gun, only a shovel and I was worried that my dogs who went out along to help, might get bitten if they killed him... and i dont think I could have killed it with the shovel- but i was prepared to wack it silly !! if this happens again, can you think of anything i could spray on him to drive him away (like pepper spray or something like that) i was going to grab some wasp spray, but couldnt find any- and while i was looking he left the way he came in which is still a mystery...

thanks for any advice- Rose

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    A coon can be fast. Since non were eaten I'm assuming it's because you obviously interrupted him/her. Hopefully you will catch the varmint!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by