How fast do ducks grow?

Ngarvi01

Hatching
May 25, 2015
Hi,
The members of this board were so helpful to me a couple weeks ago when we first found our orphaned duckling. It's now been two weeks and she's still alive! Since I've never raised a duck before and don't know the first thing about ducks, I feel this is an accomplishment! She's eating, drinking, pooping. We have a heat lamp, a stuffed friend, and a mirror for her. We feed her a mix of oatmeal, brewers yeast and baby bird formula (dry). I try to get her outside as much as I can, but still it's not much because I am at work during the day, but my husband tries to help. Anyways, my question is how quickly do they grow? She doesn't seem to have grown at all. She's still the same little fuzz ball she was two weeks ago. Is she getting enough to eat? When she's outside she likes to walk around and play. She squeaks loudly when I leave the room. Just not growing? Thoughts?

Thanks, nicole

Here's a picture taken today of Lily the duck, with my daughter.

Hi I also found an ophaned duckling we kept it in a large plastic bin with a heating pad and stuffed animal. But, I bought duck crumble from the local feed store with lots of water. She is now 5 weeks old it grows very fast, just wait! At about two or three weeks we added peas and dandelion greens ( grocery store) to her large water tub. I have her in a child's play pen at night with water, food etc.. And try and get her outside during the day, but like your duck if I'm out of sight she chirps loudly then follows me everywhere. She now feels like a member of our family and hangs with our dog and cat.. Hope this helps, Good luck!

She should be growing for sure, but I'm guessing this is a wild mallard? I know they don't grow as fast as huge domestic breeds do. Still, she really needs proper food. She might not be getting everything she needs from that diet. Can you get her some unmedicated chick starter, or waterfowl starter pellets? Those I think would be much more appropriate than oatmeal and baby bird formula. I think that baby bird stuff is more for like songbirds and parrots and things, right? What does it say on the package? Is it a powder? How much protein is in it?

Back
Top Bottom