How fast do spurs re-grow?

GalloFino

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
Mexico
Hi folks,

I'm fostering a rooster who has lost one of his spurs. When I caught him he had an infected foot, and the spur on the leg with the infected foot was broken. Since then it has slowly crumbled back to more or less the level of his leg...he has a pink healthy looking "pad" there now. I have no experience with chickens and don't know what any of this is meant to look like. Will he re-grow his spur? If so, how long does it normally take for this to happen? Or has he in effect been de-spurred on that side? I'll post a picture if need be...

Thanks in advance for any help.

It may regrow... although I do not know for sure.

Remember that roosters don't typically have well developed spurs until they are around 2 years old, so it could take a while.

Thanks redfeather, that's good to know as I've also been wondering how I might make some guesses as to his age. My vet didn't have an idea. The spur that he does have is probably a bit over an inch long and fairly thick/blunt. I presume this would be considered well developed?

So....if it might take another couple of years for the broken one to grow back, if it does grow back, would only having one spur be something that would make him less useful as far as guarding a free-range flock? Basically, I'm wondering if this missing spur will have any effect on the type of home I should be trying to find for him.

When I despur my game birds (for obvious reasons) they grow back pretty fast; maybe 6 weeks or alittle longer. The way I do it now is: I take a pair of pliers and give the spurs a twist then the spur basically pops off leaving the pink nub. I used to take dog nail trimmers and cut them back as far as I could without them bleeding, but doing it this way, or even when the break off; they grow back real quick.

Since the spur fell off due to injury and infection it might not grow back, but missing a spur shouldn’t affect your re homing efforts, as long as his leg and he is walking fine the spur should be a non-issue.

Quote:
Ah, okay, it sounds like that pink nub is what he has then...I'd read that when the spurs were removed as you describe that it takes off the outer part, but leaves the inner bone, which made me think that what would be left would be more protruding. But it sounds as if in fact he's basically got left what remains after following the pliers procedure. Good to know! My poor vet didn't really know about this either. She doesn't get too many chickens in. Thanks much for the help!

Back
Top Bottom