8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
Salmon Faverolle
Easter Egger
Barred Rock
Wyandottes
and Silkies

Oh, and also Lavender Orpingtons.

Also, if you got standard breeds like Barred Rocks and Easter Eggers, AND you got one bantam silkie, would it be picked on, do you think?
Thank you!

i have green/black coloured orpingtons and they are the loveliest birds ever. i hand reared them so they are very tame and loving. would deffinitly reccomend them.

We have week old Salmon Faverolles and Barred Rock pullets. Right now they are too young to judge temperament, but the BR are pretty chill, and the SF are very inquisitive. We had BR previously, but the flock was wiped out by a raccoon when they were 12 weeks. They were a very laid back group of birds! I am hoping that these young ones are the same.

Currently we also have three 10 week old silkies, and they really are sweet birds. Very calm and slow! Although I keep my silkies separate from the rest of the flock, many people here on BYC keep theirs with their standard breeds.

Overall, I think that all of the breeds that you listed are known for their calm demeanor and friendliness. I am sure that you won't regret choosing any of them. Good luck!

My barred rocks are the most friendly I have! Even more so than my silkies
tongue.png
My silkie is still young though, so I'll give her time. I've heard silkies are very friendly. My Polish hens are just as friendly as the BRs.. They love sitting on my lap. They are so easy to pick up, and they are pretty to look at.

My wyandotte is skittish, but again, she is still very young. All under 5 months old.

Quote:
I can only speak for the following:
EE's: Mixed bag, some are very docile and friendly while others are very flighty as in they don't mind being around you, but don't try to touch
Barred Rock: My first year having one and she is a real sweetheart, loves being held
Wyandotte: I have a Golden Laced, again very friendly but only likes to be held for a short time.
Orpington: I have a Buff and she is the tamest of all my chickens, will sit in my lap until I'm tired of holding her

I don't know about the silkie question, though I have heard they tend to be at the bottome of the pecking order.

sometimes personality depends on the individual chicken

like, i've had a Golden Laced Wyandotte that was SO sweet and friendly
and i've also had 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes that were just little trouble makers that despised me
lol.png

I started with Barred Rocks and love them! They are getting older 7+ years so I plan on getting some show BR's this spring.
Lavender Orpingtons are so much fun and very docile and wonderful to look at and I haven't found any one who regrets getting them!

My Easter egger is my friendliest bird. And she consistently lays 6 beautiful blue eggs a week. My barred rock is also very friendly. They are the only ones who eat out of my hand, although all but my Wellsummer come running when I go outside.

Back
Top Bottom