How frequently changing bedding?

nokusshon

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2021
Malaysia
Hello,

My coop size 24 inch x 24 inch x 20 inch (W X L X H). 1 Coop has a Pair of Chickens (Serama Breed). I'm using Pine Shaving as bedding, my Coop is made of Wood.

How frequently do I need to change the bedding ? Is it every 2 weeks is okay?

PXL_20210109_053203784.jpg

Research the deep bedding method / deep litter method. We let our chickens turn the bedding themselves and then once a week we mix it up and let it compost naturally. We scoop out and change the bedding every 6 months.

Research the deep bedding method / deep litter method. We let our chickens turn the bedding themselves and then once a week we mix it up and let it compost naturally. We scoop out and change the bedding every 6 months.
Can wood floor use Deep litter method? IIRC, only dirt/soil floor can apply Deep litter method or I'm wrong?

Can wood floor use Deep litter method? IIRC, only dirt/soil floor can apply Deep litter method or I'm wrong?

There is Deep Litter, which is a moist, composting system that does best with ground contact -- though it is not impossible to maintain it on a concrete or vinyl floor (the composting organisms would destroy bare wood).

And there is Deep Bedding, which is a dry, non-composting system where you just keep piling up additional dry, organic material between widely-spaced cleanouts.

Unfortunately, the coop shown is much too small to make use of either because you need to be working with at least 6 inches of bedding. This tiny coop will require very frequently cleanings -- as soon as the bedding seems soiled, becomes damp, or starts to have an odor.

There is Deep Litter, which is a moist, composting system that does best with ground contact -- though it is not impossible to maintain it on a concrete or vinyl floor (the composting organisms would destroy bare wood).

And there is Deep Bedding, which is a dry, non-composting system where you just keep piling up additional dry, organic material between widely-spaced cleanouts.

Unfortunately, the coop shown is much too small to make use of either because you need to be working with at least 6 inches of bedding. This tiny coop will require very frequently cleanings -- as soon as the bedding seems soiled, becomes damp, or starts to have an odor.
okay noted ! thank you so much :)

Back
Top Bottom