How friendly are chickens suppose to be?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Apr 18, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not complaining!!! I want to get that out first. That said however, it's like I have 18 small puppies in the brooder, not chickens. The things are so gentle and calm. A lady who also has chickens came over the other day and thought mine had something wrong with them because they are all so docile and quiet.

The more I think about what she said, the more freaked out I get! I have 18, 7 week old birds; 5 RIR's, 3 SLW, 2 Black giants, and 8 buff orps. When I let them out, they follow you around. I sit on the deck, they come up and hop onto your lap and lay down. IS there something wrong with them?

Please god say no!! [​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    No, I think they just love you![​IMG] My Buffs are like that but my other breeds arnt. You are lucky. I wish all of mine were like that must most of them are pretty independant!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Max, I think you've got angels for chicks. Or you've got some sort of chicken aura that they're responding to!

4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

It really does make a difference how much time you spend with them. Just like any other relationship, you get out what you put in. Sounds like your reaping your reward..... good for you! [​IMG]

5. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    They sound wonderful to me! But then, I keep flocks of mostly large, mellow birds.

Is this a recent change in behavior, or have they always been like this?

6. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

They've always been pretty laid back. When they were chicks we'd take them out and pet them, etc. We were always in there talking to them and stuff like that. Now they're older, they seem to want to be around people 24/7. A couple of them are a little reluctant. But the others just can't get enough

7. plucky

plucky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] This post made me laugh...my twelve chicks are now 8 weeks old, and they act the exact same way. Not at all what I expected...they follow me everywhere. I have problems if I want to lock them in the coop before they put themselves to bed...I can lure them in the coop by leaning in the food access door, but when running around to the other side to shut the yard door they just pour back out like a little chicken flood. Hubby had quite a laugh before he decided to help!

8. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Lucky. Mine have turned pretty independant. They just see me as the person that feeds them and the crazy lady that sits there clucking at them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by