How good is your incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iluvwyandottes, May 10, 2009.

1. iluvwyandottes

iluvwyandottes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    CA
    I have a Little Giant 9200 incubator so far I have tried two hatches and none have hatched. The first I got from a friend with almost all fertile eggs and another from Arabians. Is it just the eggs or is it the incubator? The humidity was never lower than 40% the entire time and temp stayed within the 99-102 range. Please i need help with this one.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I have an LG and everyone told me to get the Hovabater 1588...so I did!
    I am always adjusting the LG and the Hovabater runs like a charm. I have them side by side. This is my first batch, so I can't tell you which is better for hatching!

3. iluvwyandottes

iluvwyandottes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    CA
    thx so far and good luck on your hatch

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've done two hatches in my 1588.

12 of 41 eggs the first time. 5 roos 7 pullets.
    12 of 41 eggs the second time. gender still to be determined.

5. horselover58

horselover58 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    I used to own one, and this is what I found: The Temp is very touchy on those. If you open the bator too much you wont keep a good temp. Also, the room that you have the bator in needs to be kept at a constant temperature. Do not put the bator near any open windows or doors as that will also fluctuate your temp. Make sure to turn the eggs gently three times a day.

6. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

First of all did you use the thermometer that came with your LG? THOSE STINK!!! Get one from walmart that has the thermometer/hygrometer that shows your humidity and temp at the same time. MY LG hatches just fine since I switched to that. GRRR I feel sorry for you for that. I wish they just did not put a thermometer in there at all.

Second is it still air or forced air(fan) if still air, you must keep the temp at 101-102 at the top of the eggs. If forced air keep it at 99.5 at the top of the eggs.

Also, do you have a turner if so, make sure you move the eggs around in the turner. IE: Move the first row to the middle and move the second row to the first and the third row to the second a few times throughout the hatch. For some reason one of the rows in the turner do not develop at the same rate as the other two.

Lastly, do you open it up regularly or do you leave it alone the whole time. My most successful hatches have come from the ones that I left alone for the most part except for candling.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] How do you "leave it alone" when you move eggs from row to row?[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:[​IMG] How do you "leave it alone" when you move eggs from row to row?[​IMG]

You are bad, I wondered the same thing.

9. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I have a browertop hatch and have done lots of hatches in it. my personal best from shipped eggs is 12 out of 13 hatched. My worst is from my own fault. which was 0 out of 24. I did not have a hygrometer and my friend gave me 24 duck eggs as a suprise. Temp was way to high [​IMG]

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I would be more suspicious of the stock than the incubator. Too many people have success with the LG units, even limted success, to write the incubator off. And your conditions were pretty much spot on. I dont endorse the 9200, as there are other models that are superior IMHO. But they have stood the test of time, and I have had success with them.

Now, PC is right; you need to upgrade both your temp and humidity monitoring devices. A good digitherm and separate hygrometer is money well spent. More than a few hatches have gone off badly, thanks to those all-in-one weather units people are so fond of.
    Just go to ebay and look up digital thermometer and hygrometer. Youll find plenty of decent reptile, aquarium and other offerings to meet your need. I use an aqurium digitherm with remote probe and a cigar hygrometer - I dont have over $25 in the two of them, combined

But what concerns me is the statement that your friend gave you "almost all fertile eggs." How do you know? What do you know about the way the breeding was conducted? Or how the eggs were handled after they were laid?

(On a side note, if your friend has a way to assure fertility before development, I'd sure like to hear about it. I may have some money to invest. [​IMG] )

As for "Arabians', I'm assuming those were shipped eggs from someone here at BYC? The matter of shipped eggs includes the same questions posed about your friends eggs, WITH the additional worries over handling and treatment in transit.

More hatching troubles stem from poor treatment of the parent stock and egg handling than we know. I recommend you look there first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by