how great are goose and duck eggs???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cjeanean, Apr 14, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Being a non-hillbilly [​IMG] [​IMG] , I've never eaten duck or goose eggs, and the idea seems a little weird to me. Are they any good??? I'm thinking about getting a pair of geese, male and female, for food and eggs (and security [​IMG] ), but I want an opinion as to the taste. I already have three ducks (not sure of sexes) but just in case I have a female I'd like to know about duck eggs too. Thanks!!!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am not a hillbilly and I don't think all the chefs the world over who prefer to bake with duck eggs consider themselves one either.

Cook them like chicken eggs. They are a bit richer. They make baked goods way better than any chicken egg can.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    LOL!!!!! So I could cook them the same as chicken eggs??? Hmmm.....Thanks!!!!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can cook quail, turkey, emu and ostrich eggs the same way too. In fact all fowl eggs are edible.

5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Alot of people who can not eat chicken eggs can eat duck eggs. i find them great for cooking and baking. I have a neighbor who will not take anything except duck eggs. As for goose eggs. they are delicious my DH loves them. My MIL drove 260 miles yesterday to get goose eggs. She loves them one is enough. I sent 17 home with her.

6. deeszoo

deeszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    I haven't tried the goose eggs yet. I heard they make the BEST home made noodles you could ever want, but I don't make noodles! LOL!! I love duck eggs and hardly ever eat chicken eggs. Duck eggs are nice and rich to bake with! YUM!!

I used to buy fresh eggs from a friend years ago before I got my girls. She had ducks and chickens. She had a hard time selling the duck eggs. Well, I just took whatever she gave me, and didn't worry about it much. I thought they were Easter Egger eggs. Later I found out she almost always gave me duck eggs because I didn't complain. No wonder I liked her eggs so much!! I never could find anyone that had as delicious of eggs as she had! LOL!!

DeAnna

7. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    They are very yolky... very BIG yolks. They are extremely good for baking. They are also good to eat. Yum [​IMG]

8. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I grew up on them, out in the wild. I couldn't stand store bought eggs all these years so was amazed when last November I was given 10 Rhode Island Red pullets who began their first moult after I had them 2 weeks and then began laying the best eggs ever, since I was a kid eating wild fresh eggs![​IMG]

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    how great are goose and duck eggs

Way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by