How hands off can you be with eggs under a broody?

Hantell

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
Just put some eggs under a hen that hasn’t laid or left the next box the last few days.
I haven’t hatched under a broody before. Do I ~have~ to candle the eggs? Or can I just let her do her thing?

First you need to mark the eggs you want her to hatch, then check daily that other eggs have not been laid by other layers that have access to the nest, to avoid a staggered hatch.

Might be good to candle once or twice, just to make sure the eggs are developing.

First you need to mark the eggs you want her to hatch, then check daily that other eggs have not been laid by other layers that have access to the nest, to avoid a staggered hatch.

Might be good to candle once or twice, just to make sure the eggs are developing.
I did mark the eggs, and will plan on checking daily to remove any new ones.

Do you take all the eggs at once inside to candle? And she has no problem with that? Or head out to the coop with a flashlight at night? 😂

Personally I never candle eggs under a broody hen. I don't think there is anything wrong with candling, it's just inconvenient. I candle my incubator eggs twice, at 7 days and at lockdown. At 7 days is just for curiosity, I don't toss any then. I toss the clears at lockdown to get them out of the way so I can better concentrate on the others during hatch.

Personally I never candle eggs under a broody hen. I don't think there is anything wrong with candling, it's just inconvenient. I candle my incubator eggs twice, at 7 days and at lockdown. At 7 days is just for curiosity, I don't toss any then. I toss the clears at lockdown to get them out of the way so I can better concentrate on the others during hatch.
Yeah, trying to work out the logistics and it seems so much more of a hassle than candling the incubator eggs. I think I’ll just try to leave her be. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom