How Hard Can It Be

Sorry you had a bad hatch. there are so many factors that go into hatching. No telling what went wrong. sometimes the eggs aren't fertile, sometimes they had a rough shipment, sometimes they just quit developing. humidity, temperature, stars not in alignment, who knows. i know it is disappointing. Wish i had a miracle cure for you but I don't. Just a virtual hug
hugs.gif

I'm having a super difficult first hatch, so I feel ya. Of 32 I lost all but 10 to blood spot by day 7 and am down to one lone survivor at day 14. I left the rest in after I broke open a half-developed chick and I'm praying and praying I'm wrong and some others make it, but they're so empty for being this far along... If this guy makes it I'm calling it "miracle" and keeping it as a pet no matter what. Good thing I ordered a batch of chicks to arrive just after, though now I'm wondering that I should have had them arrive earlier... I hope he survives being the only hatchling. If he even gets that far.

I had no idea this would be so heartbreaking. I hear about bad hatches, but 1 in 30 from a neighbor? I didn't even realize a hatch THAT bad was possible... I collected them as they were laid and transported them myself... I have done everything right. Dry hatch methods (20-45% humidity), egg turner to keep my forgetful self out of it, still-air is at 102F every single day... I have done EVERYTHING right and they still all died.

I'm sorry it's happened to you too. My heart goes out to your effort and your chickies. I'm glad for you that you had any hatch at all - it's just not looking like my stars are aligned for incubating, at all!

Did you have blood spot? Maybe make sure to sanitize your incubator. I sanitized with oxine but if they all died of bacterial contamination I did something wrong. I've heard to use bleach and then vinegar and dry in the sun for foam incubators. I'll try this before another attempt.

Tell us what type incubator your using. Type of heat source, fan or no fan. What type eggs. Shipped or not. Are you keeping up with how many days . Are you candling. Are you using a turner or turning by hand. What type thermometer /hydrometer are you using. What temps/humidity are you running.

102? I have always kept my temp at 100. I would freak out if mine was at 102 for more than couple hours ...just saying, have you hatched at 102 before? if so that would b good info for me so I wont flip out when it jumps to 102.I am very sorry ..hopefully more will hatch.

102 isnt ideal but it's fine. Ive hatched chicks that were at 114 for a couple hours. incubating at 102 will probably make the chicks hatch a day early.

where's your eggs coming from? do you have a digital thermometer? i would def check into your thermometer (after my first hatch went bad i put a mercury thermometer beside my digital and it was 6 degrees off!!!!!!!): ...and they say to soap and water your hands before ANY handling...wish you luck!! keep researching it and try again :)

If I remember right 102 is perfect for a still air incubator. Fan model incubators should be 100 degrees.

yup I had still air and was going for 99.5-100 temp, it is 18 hrs. into day 21 and they are peeping but it is def. delayed hatch because of temp. I will be patient though. peeping means they still have another day.

Back
Top Bottom