How hard is it to train chickens to use a nipple waterer?

Think about how you are going heat it in the winter.
Mine is 3 gal and I top it off daily.

I've had all age birds either pick it right up within an hour...and others that take weeks to really figure it out.

Here's my thoughts on 'nipple training'.

First, it's good to know how much water your flock consumes 'normally', I top off water every morning and have marks on the waterers so I know about how much they drink.

Found they drank just as much from the nipples as they did from the open waterer.

-Do not train to nipples during extreme temps when dehydration is more of a risk.

-Show them how with your finger(tho that might just train them to wait for your finger),
and/or manually grab them and push their head/beak onto the trigger(easier with chicks than adults).

-No other water source, best to 'train' during mild weather when dehydration is less of an immediate health risk. I do provide an open waterer late in day to make sure they don't go to roost dehydrated, especially young chicks.

It can take days or weeks to get them fully switched over, just takes observation, consistency, and patience.

I started mine on a horizontal nipple waterer this fall. I used an 11 gallon Rubbermaid tote and screwed the nipples into the drilled holes. Works great.

I took away all other water sources and they learned quickly. I started it IN the coop for a few days, and then moved it outside. I shut the chicken door with all the chickens inside, and twice a day for those first two days, I would have them all there watching while I grabbed them one by one and pushed their beaks onto the nipples. Any chickens that I saw use them independently I didnt guide. Then, I’d sit up there for about 15 minutes and just watch. They all seemed to know what to do and had no trouble learning.

I monitored my chickens for dehydration behaviors and after a week they all still seemed normal. Like aart said, think about winter... I used a bucket deicer and it worked great. It’s rated for plastic containers up to 18 gallons I think, so my 11 gallon was no problem.

How difficult is it to train birds to use a nipple waterer?
I'm looking at this one from MyPetChicken, in the corner variety: https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Supplies/2-Gal-Bucket-Waterer-with-Nipples-and-Cups-up-to-15-chickens-p1855.asp
As of right now, we have a fount waterer that has two major issues-
-it gets ridiculously dirty, very often
-the heater causes the water to evaporate very quickly
I know that a nipple waterer would solve those issues. I'm not sure if it would solve the issue of birds potentially not getting enough water from a fount, because the bowl is shallow? Would a nipple waterer solve that?
I don't want to buy a waterer, have it come, and have the birds not know how to use it at all. Is there a way to teach them? Is it super hard? I have three red sex links and one white leghorn that are all fully mature and I think are over a year and a half old.
We made a waterer using those kinds of nipples in a 55gal barrel. My chickens had never seen waterer nipples before and they figured it out very quickly. I removed all other waterers when I put the new one in so they would have to use it. I “showed” them how to use it by tapping on it and making water come out. I watched them for a while but they were pecking the side and not getting any water out. So I took a few hens and and held their necks and took their beaks and “pecked” it. I did that with a few of them and then they were just fine. The rest followed by example and they have had no problems since.

Think about how you are going heat it in the winter.
We have a round heated base that is currently under our fount, but could go under a nipple waterer as well.
First, it's good to know how much water your flock consumes 'normally', I top off water every morning and have marks on the waterers so I know about how much they drink.
Marking it is a great idea, I'll mark my fount today and start seeing how much they drink each day.
-Do not train to nipples during extreme temps when dehydration is more of a risk.
Of course! I'll be waiting until it's definitely springtime and the temperature has stabilized a bit, instead of swinging from cold to warm a bunch.
No other water source, best to 'train' during mild weather when dehydration is less of an immediate health risk. I do provide an open waterer late in day to make sure they don't go to roost dehydrated, especially young chicks.
Ok, great!
Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom