how hardy are coturnix quails?

backyardchickenfarmer

Songster
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
Toms river, New jersey
Hi guys, I've bin looking into getting some cotunix quails because I have never had any before and they look really cute
love.gif
but we live in New Jersey and we can get some pretty cold winters here. sometimes in the teens. so are the quail hardy? and would i need to vaccinate them? they going to be are pets not meat birds. If they are hardy, and we do decide to get some, there going to be and the ground in a aviary.O and what does the whole size need to be for the wire?Thanks!

They don't need any vaccinations, but if you keep them on the ground you will need to worm them, about once every three months is good. If they have a shelter to go into, they should be fine in the winter. The wire spacing should be no larger than 1".

Quote:
because being on the ground exposes them more to their own fecies and they can get such things as coccidosis and what not. I honestly always forget the dosage of worming quails, however someone should come along soon with that brand and dosage needed. I forget it because i dont put my quails on the ground.

It just depends on if you see worms in their feces. I haven't heard anything about worming waterfowl, but we do worm our chickens every few months. The dogs seem to always have worms, and the chickens like to hang out with the dogs, so I'm sure they are getting them as well.

My breeders just went through a very cold winter, the most nights below zero that I have ever seen. All birds survived with no problems at all, and I didn't have any heat bulbs or other sources for them. They are in raised cages as well as my chickens are, no problems there either.

I'm sorry to hijack your thread, but what about the opposite? I live in Southern Middle TN and it can get quite hot here--summer days in the 90s are fairly common. Would they do well here? They would be provided with fresh water and ample shade/housing of course.

Quote:
If you can keep them out of direct sun they should do fine... I keep mine under a shade tree... We had a several days last summer that was in the 90's Just keep the cage ventilated and in the shade and they should do fine... They do go through the water on hot days...

Back
Top Bottom