How Have Your LGD Experinces Been With Free Ranging Chickens?

May 2, 2020
Eastern Michigan
I feel bad about not being able to free range my chickens for very long, and I was wondering if a LGD would protect them so they can free range longer. What are your experiences with them, and what breeds do you prefer?

Hi there.

It took a year or more with my LGD to get him to not want to play with the birds. I had him off leash with them, but had a chain attached to his collar. If he started chasing/playing with them, and he didn't settle down after my yelling at him, he'd be taken back to his house and tie him back up. He knew that he was being punished, and learned fairly quickly.

From what I've heard, the best way to get the dogs used to the birds is to keep the dog on leash, stay with him while the birds free range. Keep doing that for several weeks or more, depending on the results you see.

LGDs guard what they love and bond with (which is why working livestock guardians are raised from birth at "arms length" so they don't bond much with the humans). It is very difficult for dogs to truly bond with birds because they are not mammals, not all that interactive etc...so don't expect "true devotion" to the flock or expect them to follow the flock around all day.

Having said that I have an 11 year old Anatolian (raised as a working goat guardian, now a house dog) and he is great with the birds and will intervene if there is a ruckus i.e. if the birds start screaming he runs out to see what is up but he has zero interest in hanging out with them for hours to "guard them". He is good backup but he mainly guards them because they are near the house and excitement or trouble in his yard is his business.

Nice! I've read that getting them from working parents is better, is that true?

It is how they are raised, they are typically born/raised with the type of livstock they will be guarding. Ignorant people sometimes bond with the "cute puppy" and then toss it out into the field alone to guard when it is bigger and "not as cuddly" which is not only horrendously cruel (they will always be bonded to people after that) but they are heartsick lonely dogs not devoted to the livestock.

I am not sure what your setup is but deciding to get LGDs is a big decision and requires a fair amount of research. Your property MUST be securely fenced as they will severely maul any stranger (i.e. visitor, postman, etc...) that wanders on to the property. They also need companionship so if you won"t be out with the dog all day you will need two dogs. You also have to be fairly dog knowledgeable as LGDs are difficult to impossible to train and they cannot be called off an attack (though they can learn house manners). Professional trainers will not work with them as they will turn on a stranger that tries to control/dominate them. They are more like cats in giant dog suits when it comes to training, but very affectionate and devoted to that which they love and they need an owner with a SOFT HAND that will never get frustrated/rough with them.
The dogs mirror their owners when it comes to treatment, if you are very gentle with them they will learn to be very gentle with you, if you get rough with them they will become rough with you (and you really won't like it...lol).

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight, ill be sure to think about that as well.
For to mention one thing -- for centuries working LGDs have been trained as pups by older working dogs, not by people (it is very difficult for people to teach a dog that chases or nips livestock to stop, but pups get it quick when an adult LGD tells them to "cut it out"). Typically people buy working dogs at 12-18 months of age from breeders with livestock that have had the pup trained by older working dogs.
If a breeder tells you "We've raised them for years and our pups do great with livestock, just buy a puppy and it will work out fine" they are only interested in a quick sale.

Back
Top Bottom