how healthy in MD?

Shortstuff112

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 9, 2012
Maryland
I have a young roo ( his name is Ronnie ) who is 2 months old that i got from a friend. I dont know his early life style if he was a cage chicken or a free range with other chickens. He has been in his own cage now for 3 weeks, and im going to show him in a month. How healthy does he have to be? and what medicines do I have to give him?

Well he has to be healthy. LOL.
Please post a picture of him. When you show him you'll want to give him a bath 1-2 days prior showing. Scrub his feet, and wash his comb, he doesn't need medicines if hes not wormy he doesn't need medications.
How big is your cage? What are you feeding him?

That said, is he your ONLY chicken? It is cruel to keep a chicken by themself (but understandable for first time owners who are unaware), and even crueler to keep a rooster by himself (he needs at least a harem of 3)

I have a young roo ( his name is Ronnie ) who is 2 months old that i got from a friend. I dont know his early life style if he was a cage chicken or a free range with other chickens. He has been in his own cage now for 3 weeks, and im going to show him in a month. How healthy does he have to be? and what medicines do I have to give him?
Your fowl needs to be healthy, needs to be lice/might free and in most states require health papers. Contact the Show Superintendent to find out what health tests need to be done.

Chris

That said, is he your ONLY chicken? It is cruel to keep a chicken by themself (but understandable for first time owners who are unaware), and even crueler to keep a rooster by himself (he needs at least a harem of 3)
Where did you here this information?

The reason I ask is because it is completely wrong, chickens are not a heard or pack animal where they need or should be with other animals.
Try looking up information and the care of show poultry before you comment on it.

Chris

Right now I can't postca picture of him because I don't have a camara but to answer some questions, he is in a cage that is six feet long , two feet wide, and 3 feet tall. Since I have a separate flock of hens for laying ( they are freerange) Ronnie has to eat layer feed which I think doesn't really matter ( does it?) I also sprinkle grit in his food to. I let him out of his cage every morning and he does have a companion about every other day. But when he doesn't have his hen he can always go up to the chicken fence and see the other chickens up close. Is this ok?

I also wanted to note incase any of you were confused that the freerange layer hens have a huge fenced in yard while Ronnie roams around my yard

Why do you ask how healthy it needs to be. In my opinion, if you have to ask that question, you should probably not be showing. If it is unhealthy you risk other peoples birds. Just my 2 cents.
Michele

Back
Top Bottom