How heavy should chickens be?

DotToDot

Crowing
Apr 11, 2023
First of all, I don’t keep meat birds, so this thread is not about how much fat my chicken has.
One of my chickens, Cue, is very heavy. She’s my heaviest bird by far (except for the rooster). She also has very thin legs that look way too small for her bulk. She’s not fluffy, but her feathers are very thick. Could that be the extra weight? Besides that, she’s a very healthy bird. One of the only that we haven’t had problems with. She’s very chill, never picks fights, doesn’t really have any enemies. She also goes broody for about two days at a time. She made a nest in one of my perennial gardens.
I haven’t had a chance to weigh her yet, but I will when I get home.
Any thoughts are appreciated!

Photos? What breed is she? Unless she seems less active, or unhealthy at all I'd do some checks here and there but I wouldn't be too concerned
She’s a black Australorp. Her sister is really sick, so I don’t know if it’s just the breed or something. She always socializes with the flock unless she’s broody. Never stirs up trouble. To be honest I don’t notice her that much.

Each breed has a weight listed in the standard, though hatchery birds are unlikely to be the "correct" size.

Condition matters more than the actual weight:

chicken_body_condition_score_chart_poultrydvm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom