How high can a chicken "fly/jump"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dar, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have an EE named Ginger and she flew over a 5' fence today i am thinkin i may need to learn how to clip flight feathers

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I have no idea, but it made me remember when I was little, the Bob Evans Farm in Rio Grande Ohio used to have a chicken flying contest every year.

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    She must have really wanted something on the other side....[​IMG]

4. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

My run is 6 ft tall, and ALL the EEs fly over it!!! Well that is, until they got a wing clipped night before last.

I know mine can fly about 8 ft, cause they rafters in the shed were that tall, and they were flying up there to roost. I lowered them a bit though. Still about 6 ft high, and they get up there OK.

My heavy breeds don't fly as high. They can fly about `1.5ft off the ground and zoom across the yard though!

5. 5littlechickens

5littlechickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    When we first got our chickens one of our OEGB flew across the yard and onto the roof of our house, plus over our six foot fence. We coverd our run with deer netting so no more chasing chickens. I'm also thinking about clipping wings, I think there is a thread on here somewhere about that.

Jody

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I am putting up the netting tonight but its only 12 ' long and my run is 16' so i will have to do patchwork

7. Omani

Omani Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Machias,NY
    I have a white leghorn that flys over a seven foot fence on a regular basis. The first run was eight feet tall with wire strung back and forth on top, didn't even think about it. But the run expantion is only seven feet tall with no wire (I ran out). She's up and over that with no problem.
    I'm sure that if she was being chased, that little leghorn could clear ten feet![​IMG]

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

my appenzeller-spitzhausen got out today, and ended up FLYING across my 100' pond.... INSANE... I was just standing there, slack-jawed...

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    How high can a chicken fly?

As high as they need to clear their fences.

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    My SL Wyndotte pullets go over a 10' fence, but none of the other pullets/hens or roosters can manage it. I have RIR, BO, EE, BA, BR, and red sex-links.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by