How high can chickens fly?

TSW99

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
Tallahassee Fl
Tomorrow I'm getting one of those metal sheds and renovating it in to a coop my question is for the run, the highest wire I could find is five feet high will this contain my chickens? I caint have them get out because they like my neighbors garden, preferably I would rather not cover the run. I have easter eggers, new hampshire reds japanese bantam, cochin bantam and several other hybrids. Wing clipping maby? And I'm aware of my Japanese bantam flying Wich is fine she is not the problem give me your opinions.

The main reason to cover the run is to keep overhead attacks out. If you have any birds of prey around, it's a good extra layer of security. I have young birds (brabanters and araucanas) that can easily fly 10 feet straight up. As they mature and get heavier they won't be able to but right now they insist on roosting in the rafters in the barn. If the birds are heavier dual purpose, I haven't had one that could get over a 4 foot fence.

X2 It really varies from breed to breed, and your personal preferences. Jumping capabilities have to be determined by weight more than anything. Also the types of birds. The only breed that are in my fully inclosed run is our Silkies. (I worry about them more than the rest). The rest free range by hopping the run in the morning. We have to let the bigger ones out to join the rest. I would say anything over maybe six pounds isn't clearing it. I'm just speculating on that though.

Last edited:
X2 It really varies from breed to breed, and your personal preferences. Jumping capabilities have to be determined by weight more than anything. Also the types of birds. The only breed that are in my fully inclosed run is our Silkies. (I worry about them more than the rest). The rest free range by hopping the run in the morning. We have to let the bigger ones out to join the rest. I would say anything over maybe six pounds isn't clearing it. I'm just speculating on that though.

how high is your run fencing

Okay well I guess I will try the five foot fence if I have have some jumpers then I will try clipping their wings.

Last edited:
I think your Japanese may be your only problem, and maybe the hybrids depending on what mix they are. Can Cochins fly or are they more like Silkies? I'm not very familiar with the breed.

From what I have observed from my cochin, she isn't a very good flyer so I'm not concerned about her too much. But I would imagine they are better flyers than silkies but I dont know cause I have never owned silkies before.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom