How high can hens fly?

When my entire flock was killed by a raccoon but one we could not figure out how Blondie made it out of the attack alive bc she was running around the driveway when my wife found her and we have 9' fences around the entire run. That means she was able to in a panic fly to the top of 9' fence and jump or over the 9' fence w/out bothering to stop at the top. Oh yes she is a 14 week old Buff Orpington and they as you know is a large bodied hen. Surprised me how high she flew.

After all the commentary I think maybe we should go ahead and clip them. Doesn't sound to hard to do, after you learn how to contain & hold the things! Newbie!

Thanks Bunches--it all helps!

Noel

When you first started letting them out did you have the fense in place I think that is the mistake I made. My neighbor didn't mind at first and enjoyed them and now she has changed her mind and so they are use to going over there and she has much more inviting leaves and things to scratch so now I can only free range them for about 2and half hours before dark and they are so unhappy in coup so wondering if I could even keep them in if I put up net wire along exsisting fence Do you clip their wings

Back
Top Bottom