How high can they fly?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by halo, Feb 18, 2008.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im going to end up with mostly heavy hens, such as barred rocks and orps. I am hoping to make some portable runs to turn them out in during the afternoon when Im home by just using some plastic net fencing . It is about 4 feet high. Can heavy hens fly that high, over the fence? If so, does it help to clip their wings so they can't fly that high?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they felt like it, I bet they could clear that no problem. Clipping one wing may help though.

However... I find, at least my hens, are so lazy, they don't even take the effort to jump over a 18 inch tall fence, while they will happily jump 4-5 feet up onto the hay so they can put eggs where I can't see them!!!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Mine can easily clear 4ft. They are good sized girls too.

4. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    When mine were younger they could clear our 4ft chinlink fence, but after they got older they didn't seem so interested. We got them a 6+ft privacy fence though just to be sure!

5. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    My barred rock and BOs sometimes don't even wait for me to back my car out of the driveway before they clear my 4 ft electric fence.

6. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    my rirs still fly over the fence and i clipped its wing

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Oh well, it looks like I need to go to Plan B, whatever that will be.

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Wweellll-- I once saw a ROO fly to the top of a wood telephone pole--HENS though?? My girl can't fly at all.

9. krturpie

krturpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2007
    Maryland
    I brought treat (a leaf of Romain lettuce) to my flock yesterday and my PR and BO hens, who are getting fairly hefty now, still managed to fly up on the fence to get the first bite. But they normally don't attempt this. The lighter hens can easily fly up and actually land gracefully on my shoulder, and often do.

I've seen hens amongst free ranging chickens roost up in tree branches easily twelve to fifteen feet off the ground, but I don't recall the size or breed now. Generally, though, I think if there's a will there's a way.

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My BOs do not fly out of their 4 foot run once they are fully mature. Young pullets can still fly really well and I keep them in a covered run, but my heavy full grown girls don't even bother.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by