How high do chickens jump? Fencea advice

It also depends a lot on the breed. Some breeds fly MUCH better than others. Henderson's chart notes simply "flyer" for those who fly high. I have seen a Leghorn fleeing a predator fly straight into an 8' wall, at its top. She was flying parallel to the ground. (She wasn't injured.)

I have about a 5.5' fence and they stay in most of the time, but if one wants out really badly, they will flap and climb the fence to get over it. My #2 roo used to do this regularly when #1 was chasing him too much, and I have seen several others do it.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Right before I sold 6 Roos last week, I shut them up in a horse stall for a day just to make it easier to catch them. I had not put chicken wire over the holes at the top of the stall and they all flew out to roost on top of the coop. The holes were 15 feet high.

Yesterday, one of my bantam hens flew up on the roof. Lucky me, my beau made like a squirrel monkey and shooed her back down. Our 4-foot fences have been a joke to the girls since they feathered out last year, so I wasn't terribly surprised about the roof-landing.

Back
Top Bottom