How high does the run need to be?

I like the snowboard idea, from the photo it looks like the wind can really get a roaring in those parts, and create a serious snow load in minutes.

Here is my new coop and run.

IMG_2958.jpg

Over 8' of stucco wire. 24'x24' of run space. Hopefully this will be enough for now. I don't think I feel up to building more than that. Too many scratches on my hands already. The dogs were very interested in what I was doing, until I put the wire on and I think they realized that they couldn't go up to the sunporch anymore. Although they did get excited when I let the chickens out.

As soon as I walked away from the chickens in the run a great big Hawk came cruising over the run. Good thing is that the dogs saw it and quite happily went chasing after it. Now if only they would do that every single time... It is actually because of the hawks and owls that I have such a large fence. I can't put a top on this. I will be expanding it next summer possibly, and if that happens I can't have a top, so the high fence. Hopefully it will help to deter the diving of the hawks and give the chickens space to move out of the way.

I have no expectations that the fence will be able to keep the ladies in if they want out.

Oh ya! In the centre of the fence is a gate. The entire 8' section opens to give access to the run and coop. I can drive a tractor and trailer right in.

Some chickens can fly over any fence you can afford to build. Some of my chickens have flown to tree limbs about 30' off the ground.

There are two ways to keep chickens from flying out of a run: clip wings or put a top on the run. The top is easier and safer for the chickens.
Polypropylene or nylon netting over the top of a run will prevent flying and discourage hawks. It's not that expensive and pretty easy to rig.

...and so the moral of the story is that roofing works...we're in the middle of hawk migration and I can tell you that I'd lose the entire flock if not roofed. Since you are in the middle of building, if you can manage it- roof!

my run has 3' of hardware cloth at the bottom (with 6" buried in the ground), and 4' of chicken wire at the top. I've not had one hen fly out, but I know they can as some roost in the rafters of the coop which are 8'. Mine has a partial roof. If I do have any p roblem with any of them flying over the run fence then I'll put some type of netting over the top.

Quote:
I SO agree with this. A little extra money up-front has been so worth it to me with not stressing/worrying about making it home before dusk (especially now that it gets dark so early) to make sure my girls are locked up. Many predators make their appearance at dusk/early nightfall. It hasn't happened yet, but if I was unable to close their pop door for the night for some reason, I feel 99% confident that they would still be safe because their run is so secure. BTW...when I was walking through the run yesterday, my little barred rock Dixie flew up to my shoulder from the ground. That's at least 4 feet...maybe she won't be able to do that when she's full grown, but maybe she will???

Quote:
We added a tall 8' large pvc pipe and draped netting over that because I needed to stand up too!

Our girls occaisionally ge the notion to fly out but the soft netting stops them.

41441_dsc00065.jpg

Our run is built with chain link fence. It's 6' fencing. It's so much easier to work in a run that you can stand up in, rather than crouching or crawling. Netting covers the top, to keep the hawks out. And, the only chickens I have that could make it to the top are the Polish.
27119_roof.jpg

Back
Top Bottom