How high is to high for a perch

chicksak

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Wasilla, AK
We have 4 Buff Orphingtons (5 months), and I think the others are a red star, black star and a black Australop, all 3 months old. When we designed the inside of an old wooden greenhouse we modified 2 shelves into poop boards and roost poles. I am not sure how high the top one is, but am wondering if it might be to high for them. This is the only perch that is used and they sure hum and ha, move from side to side and seem to think about their best location before jumping down. Don't want these sweet girls hurting themselves. We can put a ramp down for them to use but would rather not as I don't want to loose valuable space as our winters are long and cold. I guess I could utilize the underside of a ramp to hang a food feeder or something.

My question is what is the preferred height for the highest perch?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

We have 4 Buff Orphingtons (5 months), and I think the others are a red star, black star and a black Australop, all 3 months old. When we designed the inside of an old wooden greenhouse we modified 2 shelves into poop boards and roost poles. I am not sure how high the top one is, but am wondering if it might be to high for them. This is the only perch that is used and they sure hum and ha, move from side to side and seem to think about their best location before jumping down. Don't want these sweet girls hurting themselves. We can put a ramp down for them to use but would rather not as I don't want to loose valuable space as our winters are long and cold. I guess I could utilize the underside of a ramp to hang a food feeder or something.

My question is what is the preferred height for the highest perch?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

If they can get on the roost, then it is probably alright. They should have a way to hop down, such as onto a lower roost pole and then on to the ground.

You should also be able to reach the chickens on the highest roost pole.

If they can get on the roost, then it is probably alright. They should have a way to hop down, such as onto a lower roost pole and then on to the ground.

I can reach them they come to about shoulder height on my and I'm 5'5". I will have to put in a ramp or something as I like having the poop boards down...much less clean up!

Your birds are young right now and can fly up to 4' easily. BOs are heavy birds and when they are full grown and will have trouble clearing 3'. The jumping down part is already a problem. Give them a ramp or intermediate perch to get up to the roost. The first perch should only be 18 to 24" off the ground and stair step up in 12-15" increments.

Back
Top Bottom