How high (nesting boxes)

Razrbckfan

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 6, 2014
I have a chicken tractor where the nesting boxes are with the same level as the floor. Is there a certain height that they should be at in a regular hen house? Constructing my first hen house. Thank you for the help.

Mine are 18" off the floor. I'm 5'2" so this is perfect for me. If you make them very high, add a ladder to make it easier for them to get up on the nest perch. Don't forget to make your roosts higher than your nests. If you don't they will start roosting in your nests giving you poopy eggs.

I have a chicken tractor where the nesting boxes are with the same level as the floor. Is there a certain height that they should be at in a regular hen house? Constructing my first hen house. Thank you for the help.
Really depends on the floor plan size and height of the coop.
Nests, roosts, pop door, ventilation all have a relationship to one another and should be placed based on other factors.

Pic 1 is the door I open to get the eggs w/o going into the coop. Pic 2 is taken from the run door. Pic three shows the coop side of the boxes. The bottom boxes are about 4" off the ground, with a 1x6 lip (to hold the trays/shavings in). The kitty litter trays are 18" x 15" x 5" and work perfectly for my orpingtons and barred rocks...plenty of room for them to get in and move around. They trays are really nice to have because if they mess anything up (broken egg/poop) I can remove the tray, wash it out, refill with shavings, and return...the wood of the nest boxes never gets dirty.

Bottom line though is you'll need to work with the space you have, which is why EVERYBODY has a different nest box setup!

Back
Top Bottom