How high of fences?

BrownSheep

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
I have oredered some poults from Cackle that should be here in May. I've got royal palms, burbon reds, and nassaragansetts (sorry if I spelt that wrong). Some will be for eating some will be for breeding. How high of fences should I plan on building and how large of area for when they are adults.

Last edited:
Gosh, that's a tough question. My Royal Palms (both Toms and Hens) can fly up onto my hen house, which at least 12 feet high. I have a fenced in yard for my dogs, and it's probably five feet tall, and they will fly up and land on the gate.

My turkeys free range on six acres. I have probably mowed about two acres, and then woods surround the house. I only lock them up at night.

Are you in an area where you could free range them at least during the day?

I'm sure other turkey people will come along with some info that helps you more than mine.....

Yes they are, they will go right into the hen house with the chickens, and if they don't, I just lure them in with some cracked corn.

Gosh, that's a tough question. My Royal Palms (both Toms and Hens) can fly up onto my hen house, which at least 12 feet high. I have a fenced in yard for my dogs, and it's probably five feet tall, and they will fly up and land on the gate.

My turkeys free range on six acres. I have probably mowed about two acres, and then woods surround the house. I only lock them up at night.

Are you in an area where you could free range them at least during the day?

I'm sure other turkey people will come along with some info that helps you more than mine.....

I clip flights on one side only, so they are pretty much grounded... Mine wanted to tree roost instead of going in their coop... Now that they're full grown, I keep them clipped and my fence is only 4 ft... But to be honest, my tom paces constantly along the fence and has rubbed all his chest feathers off... I only have 2 turkeys and their pen is 30X 70........

I have 4 ft fence, and clip the wings on both sides. They still managed to fly up to roost on a 6' dog fence panel. Luckily, they stay in the 4' fence area.

If usually clip one side and have them in a pen with a 5 foot fence and a pen with a six foot fence. As long as they are clipped, they don't get out of either. If I get lazy, they fly right out of either.

Back
Top Bottom