1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How high of fences?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by BrownSheep, Mar 20, 2012.

1. BrownSheep

BrownSheep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    I have oredered some poults from Cackle that should be here in May. I've got royal palms, burbon reds, and nassaragansetts (sorry if I spelt that wrong). Some will be for eating some will be for breeding. How high of fences should I plan on building and how large of area for when they are adults.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Gosh, that's a tough question. My Royal Palms (both Toms and Hens) can fly up onto my hen house, which at least 12 feet high. I have a fenced in yard for my dogs, and it's probably five feet tall, and they will fly up and land on the gate.

My turkeys free range on six acres. I have probably mowed about two acres, and then woods surround the house. I only lock them up at night.

Are you in an area where you could free range them at least during the day?

I'm sure other turkey people will come along with some info that helps you more than mine.....

3. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Are they easy to catch in the evening when you want to round them up ?

>>))))">

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    12 feet or taller.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yes they are, they will go right into the hen house with the chickens, and if they don't, I just lure them in with some cracked corn.

6. heyjude1

heyjude1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2011
    tennessee
    I clip flights on one side only, so they are pretty much grounded... Mine wanted to tree roost instead of going in their coop... Now that they're full grown, I keep them clipped and my fence is only 4 ft... But to be honest, my tom paces constantly along the fence and has rubbed all his chest feathers off... I only have 2 turkeys and their pen is 30X 70........

7. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I have 4 ft fence, and clip the wings on both sides. They still managed to fly up to roost on a 6' dog fence panel. Luckily, they stay in the 4' fence area.

8. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    If usually clip one side and have them in a pen with a 5 foot fence and a pen with a six foot fence. As long as they are clipped, they don't get out of either. If I get lazy, they fly right out of either.

9. tinzman8

tinzman8 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    I have 6' fencing and clip their wings and have no problem keeping them in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by