how high off ground 4 roosts and nesting boxes

My coop is about 6 feet tall in it's highest point. I have standard Golden Comet hens. I have my nest boxes 2 feet off the ground. My roost are about 2 feet above my nest boxes. My poop board is 3½ inches below my roost. My coop has a foot print of 4 x 8 with 3 levels 4 if you count under the coop once in the run.
I have keep as many as 15 birds in the coop all winter with no issues.
I

It works fine for me!.

Last edited:
My roosts are angled across the right corner. 1 at 18" and the other at 30". I bought 21 pullets; but 2 turned out to be cockerels. My biggest "Clyde" at 18 weeks; has trouble getting on the lower roost. I made a small ladder for him; and now most of them use it. It was scary seeing him try so hard and fall. I don't want him I hurt. He is a beautiful Light Brahma. I also put ceramic brown eggs in my nest boxes. I have 5. My Red stars and Welsummers are building nests in the coop; and my flower beds...It won't be long now before eggs!

Bumblefoot is an infection caused by damage to the skin on the foot from bruising, heavy impact, abrasion or polishing the foot against a smooth surface (perch). It's expensive and hard to cure.

Back
Top Bottom