How high should a perch be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by alcap, Jun 28, 2011.

1. alcap

alcap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    I don't want them getting hurt when they come off.

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    My roosts are 7 feet up! And my girls do just fine with them. They have a ladder to reach the roosts but when they come down they usually just flutter straight down to the floor.

Below on L you can see the perches. On right, you can see the ladder.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    7 feet high?? wow mine are 3 and they do just fine. do they need to be high up??

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    They don't "need" to be, but chickens prefer to roost as high as possible. They feel safer high up. My coop used to be a hunting blind and it basically looks like a giant outhouse, LOL. It's 10 feet tall, 10 feet long and 4 feet wide. The roosts are actually structural--they hold the building together. So when I adapted it for a chicken coop, I put the ladder in, figuring that if they wanted to use the top roosts they could and if they didn't, they could use the ladder. They pretty much always go all the way up to the top roosts.

See my Coop page (link in sig) for more photos, etc. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  5. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    The only concern with roosts over 5 feet (my opinion/experience) is a risk of injury coming down. Mine are at 6 foot and I have had hens injure themselves coming off when they "fly down" instead of using the ramp/ladder. Thats my two cents worth.

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Rule of thumb, high enough for at least one wingflap to soften the landing. Silkies and a few others excluded..........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by