How hot can a nesting hen stand?

ISayWhatThe

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 20, 2013
I am back with heat worries, my hatched chickens have grown up :

and whilst I have ashamedly given the noisy rooster away, the Cochin hen is broody and I have given her 8 eggs to hatch but now it is 40 degrees! I give all the care I can with water and a fan, but will she manage? She's in a tin coop :/. It's the hottest part of the year in Australia and whilst she can manage normally she is now nesting most of the time...Will she be okay?

HNY everyone!

Andy

I am back with heat worries, my hatched chickens have grown up :

and whilst I have ashamedly given the noisy rooster away, the Cochin hen is broody and I have given her 8 eggs to hatch but now it is 40 degrees! I give all the care I can with water and a fan, but will she manage? She's in a tin coop :/. It's the hottest part of the year in Australia and whilst she can manage normally she is now nesting most of the time...Will she be okay?

HNY everyone!

Andy
Emm...if you give her LOADS of water and a fan then i guess she should be fine!! Make sure the water is cool aswell!!!

She was fine in the end,the other two were more uncomfortable than she, even though she is more feathery. I wonder if when they are brooding they shut down a bit and don't get affected as much? The fan and water kept the tin coop cool quite well..only 6 days to go before her eggs are due to hatch, I hope she's a good mum.

Thanks for the reply..

She was fine in the end,the other two were more uncomfortable than she, even though she is more feathery. I wonder if when they are brooding they shut down a bit and don't get affected as much? The fan and water kept the tin coop cool quite well..only 6 days to go before her eggs are due to hatch, I hope she's a good mum.

Thanks for the reply..
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I agree. I would not want the nest enclosed. The fan is a great idea, and you can put ice in the water. I think she should come out of a tin coop. See if you can throw something together where she can have her nest outside of that coop. I use storage containers laid on their side.

Back
Top Bottom