How hot do you think the coop can get and not hurt a broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jul 5, 2011.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I had two broodies. It has been quite hot here lately and their coop doesn't have the best ventilation. I put a fan in there to help, but it still feels pretty brutal to me in there at height of the day.

I tried to move one of the girls and her clutch but in my anxiety over the ehat I moved her badly and she abandoned the clutch. [​IMG] I'm such an idiot. [​IMG] I KNOW better! [​IMG]

So I am leaving the other alone..... but that doesn't stop me worrying. It was probably 100 degrees in there today!

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

My broody is in a small plastic dog carrier within the coop(keeps the other girls from laying her new eggs) and it was over 90 today and although the coop is in the shade and well ventillated it gets much hotter when there is no breeze. What I do is put that small carrier inside a large metal dog crate in the shade next to the coop so she is not too stuffy, gets fresh air and can get out for a break to stretch and poo without getting eaten by something while I am at work. I keep a small food and water bowl right next to her nest [​IMG]

Hope this idea is helpful.

3. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    I have been running the hose on the roof of my coop during the heat of the day, I have a nozzle with different settings attached to the hose, I put it on the shower setting and hang it so it sprays across the roof. It really does lower the temp inside the coop a great deal. I keep telling my layers to lay in the early morning when it is cooler BUT do they listen? NOOOOOOO!

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I have a thermometer in the coop and it reached up to 90 today without the girls panting. I do have a box fan running, so the air is circulating. I have been wetting down the coop every hour and making sure they have cool wet sand to lay in. Once it's over 95, they have big trouble. It was 100 inside the coop and I thought I was going to lose a few. They were pretty lethargic laying on the coop floor with their necks stretched panting. I then brought them in the house and put them downstairs in the dog kennels.

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:So how'd you move her to the dog carrier without breaking her brood??

I have moved them successfully before by its a iffy shot. There is a great method listed here on BYC that involves keeping her in the dark for 24 hours, but I am afraid it is too hot to coop her up like that.

6. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

When she goes broody I move her to the carrier immediately. I make her a nest of hay and shavings and she goes in no trouble. She is what I call a "Super Broody". Then I can just move her around as need be within the carrier. She's prtable for times like these and the big girls stay out of her nest!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by