How hot exactly?

cozycritters

Songster
11 Years
Mar 4, 2008
Tucson, Arizona
How hot should it be outside for new chicks to be out an about. I'm in AZ and we've been having steady around 80 degrees. How old should they be and how hot should it be for them to play in the grass?

Also, how warm should the brooder be? I have a heat lamp, but because afternoons can get very warm here I'm concerned about them being too hot.

Thanks!

I let our 4 week old chicks out in weather that tops out in the 70s, I just bring them in at night.
As far as just playing, I think you can let them out in your weather. If they are still really young, just watch them and when they start to act cold bring them in. (staying still and kinda of puffing up, or they will come close to you and try to get some cover)

I let our 6 day old chicks outside yesterday for the first time. It was near 80 here and breezy. I made a point to shield them from the wind. I also covered a section of the pen to shade it and that is the side they seem to prefer to stay on. My girls were perfectly content in the 80 degree weather, so much so I let them out again today.

I put them in a secure cage with a wire top and provided food and water while they were out. Once back in the brooder I added a little bowl of chick grit because I am fairly sure they ate some new things while they were out.

Remember to take your camera out too!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom