How hot is to hot?

I'm in Atlanta and my baby chicks have done just fine. I kept them in my garage for the first 2 weeks while putting finishing touches on the coop and run. Temps were about 90 something in the garage, I was using a heating pad cave in the brooder. The chicks used it for the first week only. They are now almost 4 weeks old and they have thrived outside in the coop and run. Our temps have been in 90's and the chicks have shown no signs of being to hot. In fact at times, I find them in the sunny parts of the run lounging in the sand.

I also had a similar question! I will be receiving my first chicks in a few days, and with the coop not done I will probably have to keep them either in the house (room mate not thrilled with the idea) or in one of the two sheds. I like the fan idea to move the air around the shed, I guess I could leave the door open during the day and close at night? I'm also worried since there are no windows, it's a shed the previous owners made. was also wondering when the temp drops at night if I should have some kind of heating pad or heat lamp one one side of the brooder just in case?
I live in Florida, where its high humidity and temps are in the 100f daily, drop down to maybe 75 at night. They'll be new hatchlings when I get them.

Last edited:
I also had a similar question! I will be receiving my first chicks in a few days, and with the coop not done I will probably have to keep them either in the house (room mate not thrilled with the idea) or in one of the two sheds. I like the fan idea to move the air around the shed, I guess I could leave the door open during the day and close at night? I'm also worried since there are no windows, it's a shed the previous owners made. was also wondering when the temp drops at night if I should have some kind of heating pad or heat lamp one one side of the brooder just in case?
I live in Florida, where its high humidity and temps are in the 100f daily, drop down to maybe 75 at night. They'll be new hatchlings when I get them.

OP here, I had mine in the garage with no fan unless I was there with them. Temps inside the garage were 95-100. I still had my heating pad tent going for them to go u dear during the night if needed. They seemed to love it - very little time with the pad, no panting and no huddling to keep warm.

Hey there!! I live in Pensacola and the weather is about the same. I kept my chicks in the garage with no problems. The garage stayed between 85 and 101 degrees. The chicks did great. I kept the heater on at nights when it was cooler but they didn't use it. In my opinion the temperature "rules" of 95 and lowering 5 degrees every week aren't necessary bc weather doesn't always cooperate in nature. I didn't have any natural light just sat them next to my grow light for seedlings. The garage doesn't have fan either.

I wouldn't put them in the house. That was going to be my last resort if I thought the garage was too hot. They do smell even if I kept scooping poop and are unbelievably dusty. I'm regretting keeping them in the garage for as long was I did. Everything is covered in a thick dust.

I know its been a few days... have your chickies come in yet?

I'm getting my first shipment of baby chicks next week. My plans are for the brooder to be in the unoccupied garage for the first week so we can keep a close eye on them. I live in Atlanta, @ 9:30 pm, it's 87deg out there - hit a peak of 95 today. Should I reconsider my plans or is this ok?
Live on Atlanta too, I feel your pain. Your garage should be fine for a little while, since they need a lot of heat the first few weeks, but after four or five weeks, they need to go outside. They will most likely die in that stuffy, warm garage at that point in time.

OP here, I had mine in the garage with no fan unless I was there with them. Temps inside the garage were 95-100. I still had my heating pad tent going for them to go u dear during the night if needed. They seemed to love it - very little time with the pad, no panting and no huddling to keep warm.

Hey there!! I live in Pensacola and the weather is about the same.  I kept my chicks in the garage with no problems. The garage stayed between 85 and 101 degrees.  The chicks did great.  I kept the heater on at nights when it was cooler but they didn't use it.  In my opinion the temperature "rules" of 95 and lowering 5 degrees every week aren't necessary bc weather doesn't always cooperate in nature. I didn't have any natural light just sat them next to my grow light for seedlings.  The garage doesn't have fan either. 

I wouldn't put them in the house. That was going to be my last resort if I thought the garage was too hot.  They do smell even if I kept scooping poop and are unbelievably dusty.  I'm regretting keeping them in the garage for as long was I did.  Everything is covered in a thick dust.

I know its been a few days... have your chickies come in yet?

Thank you both for the advise! That really makes me feel better. I've been keeping a thermometer in the shed and it's been around 95, and now the afternoon thunderstorms are cooling it down too I'm sure. I got one of those kiddie pools, put chicken wire around it, netting on the top, and do have a heat lamp on one side incase they get cool they can go to it. I only order seven chicks, so I think that should leave them plenty of space for them to get away if needed.
I'm hoping I have the coop ready in a few weeks, the original plan was to have it done before the chicks got here so I could brood them in there but alas, life happens and putting together the coop wasn't exactly as easy as I thought.

I have not got my chicks yet, they were shipped Monday and were supposed to come in today, but so far no word. Double checked with my postal service, they confirmed no chick shipment came in yet.

Thank you both for the advise! That really makes me feel better. I've been keeping a thermometer in the shed and it's been around 95, and now the afternoon thunderstorms are cooling it down too I'm sure. I got one of those kiddie pools, put chicken wire around it, netting on the top, and do have a heat lamp on one side incase they get cool they can go to it. I only order seven chicks, so I think that should leave them plenty of space for them to get away if needed.
I'm hoping I have the coop ready in a few weeks, the original plan was to have it done before the chicks got here so I could brood them in there but alas, life happens and putting together the coop wasn't exactly as easy as I thought.

I have not got my chicks yet, they were shipped Monday and were supposed to come in today, but so far no word. Double checked with my postal service, they confirmed no chick shipment came in yet.

I live 1 mile from my post office - I made a visit the day before and told me when they get Express mail in. I went to the PO at 11:00 am (the expected time). I asked for my chicks, at the front desk, they said they didn't get any in. I told them to please check - they found them on the supervisors desk. No phone call or telling anyone else. I would suggest going in person - this is the USPS after all.

I live 1 mile from my post office - I made a visit the day before and told me when they get Express mail in.  I went to the PO at 11:00 am (the expected time).  I asked for my chicks, at the front desk, they said they didn't get any in.  I told them to please check - they found them on the supervisors desk.  No phone call or telling anyone else.  I would suggest going in person - this is the USPS after all.

I've been tracking the package and it didn't say it was in my city yet until 11pm as of last night (was just shipped on Monday), got a call first thing this morning saying they had arrived!

The issue with heat lamps, is that they make it difficult for the chicks to escape from the heat. Try the heating pad method instead.

Back
Top Bottom