How hot is to hot?

Kudzu

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
I have a complete open air coop/run, very spacious for 5 hens. The temperature has been hovering around 100 degrees with high humidity. We keep plenty of water on hand and have shade cloth on all but a small portion of the pen. Do I need to worry about the heat? I can always rig up a fan but I don't want to do this unless it is necessary. All or any help is appreciated.

we've all been talking about that very thing.. some are using pools, some are using iced packs, some are using misters - I m in Sc and I am going to try misters even though yea i have humitiy but not like s. fla or s ga... a lady just 20 min from me uses a mister and has had great success and it does not wet the ground like you would think... check her post on the South Carolina thread she is in gafney Sc and posted pics she said her chickens do use it and that it does help with the heat.. I tell ya this summer is going to be rough.. tomorrow is supposed to be 97 .. the 5th of june.. ahhhh what will we do in late july and aug. I bet all the air conditioner people are loving this ...

Oh wet sand is another thing people are trying.. let us know what you chose and how it works out..

)O(
Pink

Quote:
Love your quote
lau.gif

They'll be fine. During the hottest part of the day they will probably lay down in the shade or under something and rest. You can offer them some frozen melon on really hot days, mine love that...on any day lol. Just remember that chickens have been around for a LONG time and most of the wild ones live in the hottest climates. They can handle it.
smile.png

Watch how your chickens are behaving. They'll pant and hold their wings out away from their bodies when they're too warm.

Its fricking hot here in the Lone Star State. My chickens are under the deck they won't come out till the afternoon atleast their safe there. Its only June wait till August I'll need oxgen.

We live in Mississippi and it is hot and humid. We have a small flower bed next to the pen and when we water we place the sprinkler where it waters the coop. The water drips down thru the shade cloth and the chickens seem to like it. Someone suggested I watch their behavior, if they are holding their wings out, well yea, we are all doing that, it's hot.

Thanks for the replies; I think I will hold off on the fan.

Kudzu, I'm in MS too. I am just about at a loss for what else to do to help my chickens cool off. We've got to figure something out quick-like! All of mine are panting and some are holding their wings away from their body. It's miserable for all of us! Please let me know if you find a good solution!

Back
Top Bottom