How hot is too hot for 7 week old chicks

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
We were routinely taking the chicks out to get them acclimated to our run - 240 square feet, completely covered and it has a fan. However, we had a problem come up with some of the older chickens and stopped taking them out. Today, we've been working on the mini-run (inside the main run), but it's almost unbearable out side. It is 97 degrees outside - and that doesn't include the heat index. Here is our weather forcecast for the next few days. Is this too hot to be taking them out in?

1691175242859.png

It's one of those things that you don't know for sure until you try it. Personally, I would take the chicks outside, but watch for signs of overheating or distress. If they seem to have trouble, bring them back in. The more heat they can safely experience, the faster they will adapt to the conditions they will have to live in when they are older.

If the hottest part of the day seems like too much, you can try taking them out in the morning or the evening when it is a bit cooler.

It's one of those things that you don't know for sure until you try it. Personally, I would take the chicks outside, but watch for signs of overheating or distress. If they seem to have trouble, bring them back in. The more heat they can safely experience, the faster they will adapt to the conditions they will have to live in when they are older.

If the hottest part of the day seems like too much, you can try taking them out in the morning or the evening when it is a bit cooler.
Thank you. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious about it. My husband doesn't seem worried

Back
Top Bottom