How hot is too hot to lock chicks in coop for coop training?

Personally I would cut a hole in the side of it and put hinges and a latch on the piece you cut out .Then attach 1/2" hardware cloth over the hole so you have a big vent for circulation . Open or close it as needed.
I love that hinge and latch idea! I had considered adding windows here or there but just hadn’t yet. Figured I could do it later 😅

Your ventilation is excellent. Can you add shade?

I used a cheap picnic pavilion for mine:
0121211125-jpg.2497653

You could string up a tarp, put up a patio umbrella, etc.

Your ventilation is excellent. Can you add shade?

I used a cheap picnic pavilion for mine:
0121211125-jpg.2497653

You could string up a tarp, put up a patio umbrella, etc.
My coop is actually under lots of trees and gets full shade until like 3pm. Which is great and all but then it gets blasted by the hot afternoon sun during the hottest part of the day. So it makes it a little hard cause the sun is coming in sideways. But there is still some shade in the run during that time but I am gonna probably come up with something eventually. They’re right behind my garden and once everything grows up my trellises that should help too but this first summer I’ll definitely have to make some adjustment to get everything 👌🏻

My coop is actually under lots of trees and gets full shade until like 3pm. Which is great and all but then it gets blasted by the hot afternoon sun during the hottest part of the day. So it makes it a little hard cause the sun is coming in sideways. But there is still some shade in the run during that time but I am gonna probably come up with something eventually. They’re right behind my garden and once everything grows up my trellises that should help too but this first summer I’ll definitely have to make some adjustment to get everything 👌🏻
Edit: They need a breeze. ....They aren't getting one in there sorry.

I locked my chickens in their coop today for the first day of coop training. It was hot and did get up to 90 degrees in the coop. (I have a temp sensor) I kept a close watch and did see about half of them panting so I got some fresh ice water and changed a few things around and that seemed to relieve them enough. Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer so I’m wondering if I should abandon the coop training for a couple days until it gets slightly cooler?
I may have done the wrong thing but it worked out beautifully. So, my girls were 5 weeks old and were more than ready to exit my spare bedroom. I was preparing to close them inside their coop for 2 or 3 days to acclimate to their new home as I read was necessary. My problem was the weather turned unusually hot for early May here in north Alabama and I began to stress about putting them out. So happened that Saturday, I went to the Farmers Market and talked to the man I buy my meat from. His wife has her little chicken flock so I told him my fears. He told me his wife had done the lock up with her first batch but was unhappy doing that. So, for the second batch, she didn't do it at all. Worked out great. So I went home and put them out. That night we placed each chick in the coop and on the roost bars. They had peeked in during the day from the run but none went into the coop. Checked later and they were still there all 8 lined up in a row. Next morning they all were eager to go into their run. That night they all walked up the plank into the coop and 6 settled on their roosts but 2 sat atop the window but eventually all 8 roosted without any problem. Never put any food or water in the coop. They acclimated to their new home and all was well. Just my experience but worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom