How hot is too hot?

MattalynsBarn

Songster
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
Connecticut
We got a red 250 heat bulb and it looks like it's creating about 120 (?) degrees, is that too hot? I can't really raise the lamp much higher...
hmm.png

that is very hot first week is sapposed to be 95 then 85 then 80 and keep decreasing till room temp.

Yes! That's way too hot. Temperatures at that level can kill chickens. You need to switch to a lower watt bulb, pronto.

Go to a home improvement store and get a red flood light light bulb. They usually have 80 to 100 watts. Put the light over one end of the brooder so they can move away from it if they get too hot. The most important thing to do is watch the chicks and see how they behave. If they are too cold they will cuddle up with each other directly under the light and if too hot they will stay at the other end. They will let you know. Good luck and have fun!

We looked for the red flood light at Wal-Mart but they only had 250. I haven't been able to find any that are lower yet, but we'll keep looking! They're not here yet, so no worries!

You're smart to set up your brooder early and do a "trial run." Now you have time to fiddle with it and get it just right!

I used one of those ceramic bulbs you can get at pet stores that stock supplies for reptiles. It provides heat but not light so there's no interruption of the normal day/night cycle.

Any pet store (Petsmart, Petco) will have red reptile heat lamps, I think they start at 75, 100, 125, 150, 200, 250+ watts... they are a little more expensive but last FOREVER! I am still using the same ones I had for reptiles from like 10 years ago...
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I have two Leopard Geckos (me, not the family) and yet for some reason I completely did not think of that! Also, you leave it on overnight, right? I know I know the answer but I'm diabetic and my blood sugar is low and I can't think
hmm.png

I leave mine on 24 hours a day, just raising or lowering to adjust the temps... the reason you get red is because it's darker and simulates the moon light better and it doesn't keep them awake, which leads to less picking and fighting.
smile.png

And yes, I second using the ceramic "heat only" ones, only problem is that they are about $40 bucks a pop!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom