How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Skittleinaustin, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Skittleinaustin

Skittleinaustin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Austin
    I'm in Austin Texas and I'm building my first coop. I am planning on using thermostat controlled outlets to help regulate temp. There is one that comes on at 78 and shuts off at 70. There is anothere that cones on at 120 and shuts at 100. One feels too low and the other way too high. What is too hot?

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    [​IMG]. I live here as well and I don't use anything in my coop. My coop is 3/4 open with hardware cloth around the south sides. I have never used heat or A/c. I have heard and learned here that chickens get acclemated the temp outside and if you use heat and electric goes out it can kill the birds. This is my opinion. During the hot summers my girls just hung out under the shade trees. Heat is more dangerous to chickens than cold. My girls did fine the other night when the temp fell to 33 degrees. As long as there is no drafts they will be fine.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well...I used the on at 78 one last year in my coop. The only problem was that it never shut off...lol, because it never dropped below 70, at least not until the very end of summer, and then it only shut off over night. The on at 100/off at 120...maybe in your area. Do you guys have much humidity? With low humidity, that might be an option for you... My girls did okay if the temps were in the mid 90s with low humidity. But the days when humidity shot up, they were simply miserable...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  4. martin.d

martin.d Out Of The Brooder

if only i had to worry about too much heat, in the U.K. its the damp thats unpleasent [​IMG]

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:In the summer the humidity is terrible.

6. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Honestly I wouldn't really worry about it. As long as your coop is well ventilated and you have shade for them, they will be fine. Just offer them some ice water on the really hot days.

7. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    A chickens body temperature is 103°, you need to keep the air temperature below this. Anything above 103° causes heat stroke or even death.

Instead of those cube temperature things, try an adjustable attic thermostat, it's all mechanical.

Personally, my coop has a swamp cooler on a temperature controller which cycles at 95°. I don't want it to get colder than 95° on hot days.

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Skittleinaustin [​IMG] to the BYC

The chickens system requires at new
    Week 1 to be 85* degrees
    Week 2 80*
    Week 3 75* and continue to drop the temp 5* each week until the end of the 7th week. At week 5 bring them outside in much colder weather and bring them in each night. If the area is way to cold (<30* or less) in a garage until fully feathered. At week 8 they go out into the coop with no more heat forever. The birds grow a down base of feathers and a top coat of feathers to help regulate the heat in their bodies. The most important thing is to get a big enough space for them to be able to get out of the heat too. If they are huddled together under the heat its not hot enough. If they are in a circle around the heat its to hot. If they are panting they are to hot. I would not use a thermostat unless it is very controlled. Use a thermometer and practice making the heat stay regular until the kids come. I used a radiator plug in heater under the brooder and moved it out further and further as the heat was being reduced. Best of luck to you.

9. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are we talking about chicks or full grown birds? Since I also live near Austin I can tell you that my cluckers have done fine so far, even when the temperature got below freezing. I will also point out that there is a post on this forum from a lady in Alaska who provides not heat for her flock. Save your money.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Good point! I was thinking he/she was talking about summer time heat with grown birds...lol. But maybe not.. Chicks in winter?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by