How I fix splayed legs.

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
I’ve seen a lot of posts about splayed legs, and sometimes people come up with ingenious, but difficult to deploy methods of repair. I’ve only had maybe 3 or 4 splayed chicks, and Ive never thought to photograph my fix. Unfortunately I don’t have a before pic, but this chick was laying like a bear rug. Even on the shelf liner in the bator and brooder, she was just frog swimming around with her hips oriented out and against the floor, with her hocks folded next to her sideways instead of under.

She hatched out of the side of the egg and even tho I didn’t have to assist, it was definitely a struggle and she was all bent into a weird shape, I assume this was the cause, since I have over 80 new chicks right now, and she was the only splay. I had 3 pip on the side of the egg, one died in the shell because I wouldn’t risk the rest to open the bator so early, one has one foot with curled toes, and then this one.

I put the prosthetic on before dinner last night, and I’ll take it off before bed tonight, but as you’ll see from the pix, she’s already walking fine. I use 3 of the smallest sized rubber leg bands for chicks and just looped them together:
B9F21AC8-0796-4A77-BC8F-B3C6A3A821F9.jpeg
6DB92BF4-5262-49AA-9B23-533261D39C29.jpeg
C1CF5DA2-7EE3-43A6-A358-6A1D41B3D13F.jpeg
DA95C0AC-834E-4573-8D09-4E4775195F05.jpeg

She has no trouble getting up and walking with it on, and it is super easy to put on, i looped the bands together, hubby held her up, and I slipped them on, from start to finish, less than 4 minutes.

I hope someday, someone finds this helpful :)

I’ve seen a lot of posts about splayed legs, and sometimes people come up with ingenious, but difficult to deploy methods of repair. I’ve only had maybe 3 or 4 splayed chicks, and Ive never thought to photograph my fix. Unfortunately I don’t have a before pic, but this chick was laying like a bear rug. Even on the shelf liner in the bator and brooder, she was just frog swimming around with her hips oriented out and against the floor, with her hocks folded next to her sideways instead of under.

She hatched out of the side of the egg and even tho I didn’t have to assist, it was definitely a struggle and she was all bent into a weird shape, I assume this was the cause, since I have over 80 new chicks right now, and she was the only splay. I had 3 pip on the side of the egg, one died in the shell because I wouldn’t risk the rest to open the bator so early, one has one foot with curled toes, and then this one.

I put the prosthetic on before dinner last night, and I’ll take it off before bed tonight, but as you’ll see from the pix, she’s already walking fine. I use 3 of the smallest sized rubber leg bands for chicks and just looped them together:
View attachment 2492098View attachment 2492099View attachment 2492100View attachment 2492101
She has no trouble getting up and walking with it on, and it is super easy to put on, i looped the bands together, hubby held her up, and I slipped them on, from start to finish, less than 4 minutes.

I hope someday, someone finds this helpful :)
That is definitely helpful! Hope I remember this during this hatching season!

Back
Top Bottom