Yes, but what about when you have to shut them in for one reason or another. Sleeping is one thing, but cranky birds that want out will count to the last inch
I don’t lock them in at all. I will do that this year for the first time because of last years surprise snow fall. And I’m very good at waking up at 5am to feed my animals so no cranky birds here.🙋‍♀️

People get upset when someone posts something with the intention for others to replicate that is doomed to failure and behavioral problems that we often then have to resolve as longtime members and advisors on this website - like someone building a coop too small or that is very insecure and showing it off so that others will replicate it, or a manufacturer advertising a 10 bird coop that is best suited for two.

I'm certain if your videos contain nothing of the sort then no one could get upset over them. ;)

People get upset when someone posts something with the intention for others to replicate that is doomed to failure and behavioral problems that we often then have to resolve as longtime members and advisors on this website - like someone building a coop too small or that is very insecure and showing it off so that others will replicate it, or a manufacturer advertising a 10 bird coop that is best suited for two.

I'm certain if your videos contain nothing of the sort then no one could get upset over them. ;)
Do you see my coop not sutable for 7 chickens?

I don’t post ads. I share how I KEEP MY FLOCK. No one if forced to do as I show, I simply give ideas and share my experience.
My birds eat grain, oh no. What you don’t realize is that they get great calcium supplements like oyster and eggs shells often, and they have natural grit 24/7 to help with digestion.
I do my best to always mention why these things I share work FOR ME.
Some people get really upset about me posting links to my videos I guess 🤷🏻‍♀️
My birds eat grains. But it’s REAL CHICKEN FOOD.
You feed yours fatty scratch grains, RABBIT PELLETS (what the heck?) and birdseed.
Chicken feed is made specially for chickens. That’s why people use it.

Do you see my coop not sutable for 7 chickens?

If it is 4x4 like some others have said, my experience is that 7 chickens will fight in there. It could work if you live somewhere with no inclement weather and had no predators so you could leave the door open so they could pop out as soon as they see but such places don't really exist. A covered coop-secure run might make it feasible? Most people don't have this and comments have suggested that you don't either.

The smaller the coop the more important extra space really is and with a 4x4 coop you're pushing that extra space to its limit. 4sqft is a 2x2 square - really not a lot. That's suggested as the minimum so that a chicken has room to spread its wings, dig, turn in a circle, dust bathe, etc. without touching another bird. In a large group this is less important - it's unlikely that none of the chickens will want to touch and will want to use all their space all the time. In a group of 4 it's VERY possible that all four will utilize the entirety of their personal space at once. If they can't utilize their space when they want to, they will peck each other, which leads to feather picking, stress, higher parasite levels, and a host of other issues. For reference, 6 chickens would be the legal limit for that space in many of the suburbs where I live. 10 would be the maximum legal limit state wide. You're coming awfully close to CAFO stocking levels in a coop that size. Just one broody hen with chicks would make it illegal state wide. (Chickens confined for any period of time require 1.5sqft/bird unless being transported in my state.)

It's also deeply unsuitable for broody chickens. When I had a 4x4 coop all my broody chickens had other hens trying to lay in her nest and broken incubated eggs, and then tried to sleep outside as soon as the chicks were hatched and refused to lead them up the ramp at night. Now that I have a 4x8 with four external nest boxes and three roost bars I can isolate the broody hen easily long term for the brood and she gladly leads them back up the ramp, even with a greater stocking ratio.

Now. MAYBE you're not having any problems - that's good for you! If someone else replicates it they are VERY unlikely to have the same results... And then most of us hear "Well we learned XXX from a vlogger" and we try to fix it after someone has invested time or money or expectations into a big project. Better to stop it before it starts by pointing out the flaws at the source.

If it is 4x4 like some others have said, my experience is that 7 chickens will fight in there. It could work if you live somewhere with no inclement weather and had no predators so you could leave the door open so they could pop out as soon as they see but such places don't really exist. A covered coop-secure run might make it feasible? Most people don't have this and comments have suggested that you don't either.

The smaller the coop the more important extra space really is and with a 4x4 coop you're pushing that extra space to its limit. 4sqft is a 2x2 square - really not a lot. That's suggested as the minimum so that a chicken has room to spread its wings, dig, turn in a circle, dust bathe, etc. without touching another bird. In a large group this is less important - it's unlikely that none of the chickens will want to touch and will want to use all their space all the time. In a group of 4 it's VERY possible that all four will utilize the entirety of their personal space at once. If they can't utilize their space when they want to, they will peck each other, which leads to feather picking, stress, higher parasite levels, and a host of other issues. For reference, 6 chickens would be the legal limit for that space in many of the suburbs where I live. 10 would be the maximum legal limit state wide. You're coming awfully close to CAFO stocking levels in a coop that size. Just one broody hen with chicks would make it illegal state wide. (Chickens confined for any period of time require 1.5sqft/bird unless being transported in my state.)

It's also deeply unsuitable for broody chickens. When I had a 4x4 coop all my broody chickens had other hens trying to lay in her nest and broken incubated eggs, and then tried to sleep outside as soon as the chicks were hatched and refused to lead them up the ramp at night. Now that I have a 4x8 with four external nest boxes and three roost bars I can isolate the broody hen easily long term for the brood and she gladly leads them back up the ramp, even with a greater stocking ratio.

Now. MAYBE you're not having any problems - that's good for you! If someone else replicates it they are VERY unlikely to have the same results... And then most of us hear "Well we learned XXX from a vlogger" and we try to fix it after someone has invested time or money or expectations into a big project. Better to stop it before it starts by pointing out the flaws at the source.
Why do people say I’m suggesting other to REPLICATE my coop design? The title says
“Chicken coop built from pallets” “Build a chicken coop for free”. 🧐
You and others are more than welcome to take this idea and multiply space by 20 or add automated doors and fan ventilation, solar heat lamps etc. But do you realize that no everyone can afford that?
Also, I’ve hatched countless chicks in this coop prior to the makeover.So how would you explain that? Luck? Hum
I must be doing something right, never lost a chicken to disease or stress or any of what you said. Only to hawks and hatching problems like broken legs or simply not strong enough to hatch. 😊
Again, THIS VIDEO IS TO OFFER ALTERNATIVE IDEAS TO HOUSING YOUR FLOCK, never said it was my way or the highway.

Yep but people gonna replicate stuff anyhow. And YOU asked why people dunking on your video. If you don't wanna know why'd you ask, tbh.

A business ethics class may help you here. :p But I aint getting paid teacher wages to tell you about it, so my posts can speak for themselves for anyone who sees em.

Back
Top Bottom