How important is the Marek's Disease Vaccination?

Should I self vaccinate the chicks?

• No, it's a hassle and they will live fine lives without it.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Yes, it's an important vaccine.

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

cochins1088

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Southern Minnesota
I have hatched chicks for a couple of year now and I finally ordered some eggs that I'm really excited about. They are high quality silver laced cochin bantams. They will hatch in less than 2 weeks. I will also have some other hatching in just over 3 weeks. I plan to show and breed them with they reach maturity. I'm just now learning about this Mareks disease, but it's still kinda fuzzy. I read that it's everywhere and that even if your flock doesn't show signs, you should assume you have it. I want these guys to live the fullest of their lives and I don't want them being exposed during shows and such (if they haven't been already). I don't believe any of our flock has it, but now that I think about it, we did have one hen that couldn't move her legs for 2 days and then died but this was over a year ago. Also, these aren't from a hachtery so if I did decide it was worth it, it'll cost me and I'll have to do it myself. I don't want to accidently ingure any chicks due to my inexperience. So, what do you guys think. Is this something necessary? What could happen if I decide against it?

Thanks,

Cochins1088, I have hatched MANY batches of eggs and I have never vaccinated for Marek's. I don't consider it an important vaccine but I am also just now getting into showing so it would be totally your call. If you feel like you should give it to your chicks do it but I wouldn't stress out about it, most vaccines are so simple to give so that is not a problem. Now with that said I do vaccinate for Fowl Pox. I feel like that is a vital vaccine unless you would like to spend countless hours treating them.

Hope this helps you and doesn't confuse you more. :)
~Piper

Fowl Pox? Guess I have another disease to look up. For the 5 years I have owned chickens, I haven't had to treat anything. Of course, I don't exactly know if I sould be looking for certain things. I answer countless questions about hatching and raising chicks, but I know very little about diseases. I was just thinking that if I do decide to show and such, they will be exposed to different things outside of our little farm and I want them to be protected, Mareks sounded super commona on deadly but if you really don't think it affects them very much, maybe not. I'm only 16 and going to college, so I don't have money to be wasting on unessisary vaccines, but I want them to be protected and live the fullest of lives.

I'm new to chicken, expecting my 6 chicks in a few weeks, is vaccination necessary for all chicks? I didn't even know chickens get vaccinated. I'm only keeping 4 of the chicks, my friend and neighbor is taking 2 of them....will have to research this further as I wasn't aware they needed shots.

I wasn't either. I have hatched many times, but I am just now wanting to really breed, show and sell hatching eggs. I read somewhere that you need to be NPIP tested, which lead me into looking into other diseases, which had me realizing that many of them have vaccinations in order to prevent them. But they are expensive, and I'm worried about doing them myself. Not totally sure what to do. Does anyone have a list of the most important ones if I were to vaccinate for one thing and ignore the rest. Like I said, I'm 16 and going to college so I don't just have money laying around, but vaccinating sounds like the right thing to do.

Fowl Pox? Guess I have another disease to look up. For the 5 years I have owned chickens, I haven't had to treat anything. Of course, I don't exactly know if I sould be looking for certain things. I answer countless questions about hatching and raising chicks, but I know very little about diseases. I was just thinking that if I do decide to show and such, they will be exposed to different things outside of our little farm and I want them to be protected, Mareks sounded super commona on deadly but if you really don't think it affects them very much, maybe not. I'm only 16 and going to college, so I don't have money to be wasting on unessisary vaccines, but I want them to be protected and live the fullest of lives.
I would look into vaccinating for Fowl pox but it is not a mandatory vaccine. I just like to vaccinate all of mine for it since it can get to be a pain to deal with. You will know if you have fowl pox because your chickens will get scabs all over their face. If they do then they more than likely have FP. It is easy to treat just use Listerine mouthwash, but it takes time and if it gets to the wost stage (wet pox) you will need to use antibotics which are expensive. I am only 17 and going to college so I totally know what you mean. I don't have a bunch of money to spend on my chickens, I wish I did but I don't. :) I have never had any Marek's so I don't think it is necessary, but it is still your call. As far as price goes for a 1,000 doses of Fowl Pox it cost me $8. I only used 17 of those 1,000 doses but to me it was worth it. Also DON"T order it! Call your local feed store, most of them carry it and it is WAY cheaper at a feed store. I don't mess with many vaccines and my chickens all live pretty long healthy lives! :)

Again I hope this helps you! :D
~Piper
I'm new to chicken, expecting my 6 chicks in a few weeks, is vaccination necessary for all chicks? I didn't even know chickens get vaccinated. I'm only keeping 4 of the chicks, my friend and neighbor is taking 2 of them....will have to research this further as I wasn't aware they needed shots.
wbarb19, it is not necessary for all chicks to be vaccinated, it is totally up to the owner. There are a ton of vaccines out there, but most are for huge flocks or if you are constantly introducing new birds to your flock. Since you only are keeping 4 I wouldn't worry about your babies. Also one thing I should add is if you are getting them from a hatchery most hatcheries will vaccinate them for some things already. Are you hatching your own or buying from a hatchery? If so what hatchery?

Hope this helps! :D
~Piper
I wasn't either. I have hatched many times, but I am just now wanting to really breed, show and sell hatching eggs. I read somewhere that you need to be NPIP tested, which lead me into looking into other diseases, which had me realizing that many of them have vaccinations in order to prevent them. But they are expensive, and I'm worried about doing them myself. Not totally sure what to do. Does anyone have a list of the most important ones if I were to vaccinate for one thing and ignore the rest. Like I said, I'm 16 and going to college so I don't just have money laying around, but vaccinating sounds like the right thing to do.
Cochins1088, If you want to show you will have to get your birds NPIP tested. It is free and so easy! I just had my flock tested Wednesday and it took the agent 15 minutes to test my 30 birds and fill out the paperwork. All you need to do is contact the agent in your area and give them a date, they will do the rest. All they do is a wing stab blood test and you have the results instantly! As far as other vaccines go yes they are expensive! I would look into all the vaccines and get yourself familer with them and then if you feel like you should vaccinate go for it. It is not hard at all I promise! For fowl pox all you do is take the wing stab tool (provided when you by the vaccine) and dip it into the solution then you poke the wing web of the chicken and let the vaccine into the wing. It is so easy! :D I did 18 of my chickens with my 11 year old sister in less then an hour.

If you have any more questions either post them on here or PM and I will be glad to help as best I can!

I hope I am not confusing you to much!
~Piper

There are 2 feed stores that I know of aroudn here, one shut down last year (couldn't make ends meet) and it was a really nice store. The other is this tiny little crap building with a cash regisiter, you tell them what you need and they'll grab it off the back of an old semi truck trailer. I'm guessing that I'll need to find a better feed store if I'm looking for vaccines, hahaha I guess I'll have to do a lot more searching to find out what I should vaccinate for and where a good feed store is. I do have one more question, though I don't know if you'll know either. Do the vaccines have to be given the first day? I orderd some hatching eggs for these high quality silver laced cochin bantams and they arriced in bad condition. Only 2 are developing so I contacted the seller, and he/she offered to reship them for the price of shipping. So I will hopefully have chicks that are 15 days apart, can I vaccinate them all at once, some being one day old while others being 15 days? I also wonder if the vet carries these sort of things. They specilize in cats and dogs, but I imagine they treat other animals as well.

There are 2 feed stores that I know of aroudn here, one shut down last year (couldn't make ends meet) and it was a really nice store. The other is this tiny little crap building with a cash regisiter, you tell them what you need and they'll grab it off the back of an old semi truck trailer. I'm guessing that I'll need to find a better feed store if I'm looking for vaccines, hahaha I guess I'll have to do a lot more searching to find out what I should vaccinate for and where a good feed store is. I do have one more question, though I don't know if you'll know either. Do the vaccines have to be given the first day? I orderd some hatching eggs for these high quality silver laced cochin bantams and they arriced in bad condition. Only 2 are developing so I contacted the seller, and he/she offered to reship them for the price of shipping. So I will hopefully have chicks that are 15 days apart, can I vaccinate them all at once, some being one day old while others being 15 days? I also wonder if the vet carries these sort of things. They specilize in cats and dogs, but I imagine they treat other animals as well.
I would call your feed store and just ask if they have it. It is worth a shot! I buy from a little hole in the wall store too but they had it. If they don't have it google feed stores in your area and see what is remotely close to you. As far as age it depends on what vaccine you are trying to give. Some vaccines can only be given to day old chicks and others have to be older. I am not sure about the age for Marek's but I know for fowl pox you can give it to them any time before they start laying. The vet may have what you need but I doubt it if they only do cats and dogs.

HTH!
~Piper
Ohhh and Thanks for the help!! It's nice to find someone else who is my age, hahaha.
You are so welcome!!!! I am just glad I can help you! Yes it is nice to find someone my age who loves chickens!! :D

~Piper

If you haven't seen Marek's, you have no idea of the heartache involved in watching your flock die and there's nothing you can do. Once they have it, that's it. I lost over 60 birds this year and counting. My advise? Check some of the other threads on BYC dealing with "Mysterious Illness" and Marek's.

I just spent $244.22 on Marek's, Fowl Pox, MG, Newcastle-Bronchitis, and Coryza vaccines. Crazy huh? It's worth it to me after this last year. Did you know that some of these diseases can be passed to you and your family? Seriously, how would you feel? But please, don't take my word for it, do your own research and see what you find. And who knows.....you may be one of the lucky few that never have any of these show up in your flock. Is it really worth that chance though? The Marek's vaccine is $16.00 most places if you vaccinate yourself. Educate yourself so YOU can make an informed decision.

Back
Top Bottom