How in the heck do u hand feed chickens..they would eat me..

Mine are big babies even the roos and it does smart alittle but i put alot of food in my hand or use a small cup that i can hold full of food. If it is just one or two they are not as rough but i have 22 and they all want what is in my hand. i usually use a 1 cup measuring cup has a handle and fits in the palm of your hand.

Solution, get bantams.

It does depend on the individual bird though. I can hardly feel my RIR when hand feeding her. She more 'takes' the food then pecks it off.... the faverolle however, if I were made of concrete I think she's knock herself out
lol.png

I was hand feeding my girls (I only have 3) and DH came out and wanted to try and I said hold out your hand. They pecked at the palm of his hand and he said no way that is too creepy. He was being a chicken.
lol.png

No way I could either. THey see me coming, and if I have anything in my hand, they are on me like a tick to a dog! I can hardly set the bowl down, or if I am scattering things, they follow the bowl around instead of going after what is on the ground. They LOVE their treats!!!

They know the suet basket too....Have to hide it behind my back while I walk up to the outdoor run, or I cannot get in the run....they want it through tthe door, as they know good stuff is in that basket! '

Funny little creatures!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom