How in the world did this happen? (somewhat graphic)

chickenlady44

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
We have 3 2-3 month old pullets that we just got and we had them seperated from the rest of our flock. My huband got one of those big rubbermaid tubs for their "coop" at night. He screwed it down to a board for the floor, put a board over the door opening (screwed in a way so it would move open but still secured) and put a heavy log on top so nothing could move it. He drilled 2 inch and a half holes on top so they could get ventalation at night.

This morning he went to let them out. Something had pulled 2 of them through the holes at the top. The door wasn't messed with. The whole tub was moved a little, even with the log on it.

What in the world could have done this? We live in a city area, so it's not out in the country, I don't know if that makes a difference in what it could be. We have only had one other chicken killed. One of our hens was out at night and we didn't realize she was out when we locked up the coop.

Also, will the last little chicken be ok by herself? Can chickens thrive alone? I can't put her with the rest of my flock yet, we think she is sick and she hasn't been on antibotics very long.

Oh wow... sounds horrible. I have no clue whic exact animal it was, but sounds like the doings of a possum or racoon. They love pulling the chickens through wire. And no, I would get that pullet a buddy. Unless you could be around her 24-7.

Sounds like a raccoon.
sad.png

Ed

Would a trap be the best thing to do to get rid of the coon?

We are going to put the lone chicken in the garage so she will be safe, but will she be too lonely by herself if we don't get another chicken for her?

If you get another pullet or hen "to keep her company", you should still quarrantine it for 30 days. So that kinda defeats the purpose of getting it, doesn't it? Sounds like little miss will have to tough it out alone, or you will take the chance of introducing a new bug into your flock. Tough call. I'd stay on the side of caution. But that's just me.

First it sounds like a coon to me yes the trap may work.
Second yes a small chick can live alone but it will peeep alotttttt so what you will need to do is rig up a feather duster one with feathers not that shiney stuff about an inch off the floor (it acts as it's mom) and you will also need to put a mirror in there with it as well so it will see another chick and won't be lonely.

Thrid if you knwo it is sick keep it away from the others as far away as you can keep it away.

Good luck to you

That's what I was thinking with getting a new chicken, I didn't want to put a new one with a sick one and possibly have other sickness. I will do the feather duster and mirror. We have a small area for her on the other side of the yard away from our flock. We have only had her for a week so we won't put her with the others for at least 3 more weeks.

Yelp, the larger hav-a-hart trap would work...and a .22 rifle. Be careful handling the coon once you catch it. If you have a "weak moment" and decide not to shoot the trapped coon then you will have just educated the coon on traps and his 3-year memory will keep him from going into another...he'll be trap-smart and a *really* big problem then.

Best wishes,
Ed

Back
Top Bottom