How intelligent is your chicken?

Sounds like he should be Rooster of the year and High scoring on Mensa's chick IQ test -
gig.gif
So nice to hear Good rooster stories for a change.
wee.gif

I have come across the most diverse opinions on this matter, ranging from one end of the spectrum to the other. Actually, there is quite serious investigation being done nowadays, on the brain capacity of chickens. So, what are your feelings/experience on this? Do you believe they are as dumb as popular culture claims, or do you have stories to support otherwise?

Hi, realise this is an older discussion, but I'd like to add we've always had intelligent chickens, admitted some more than others but our last 3 knew my whistle and responded even though out of sight, knew their names, the treat tin lid being clattered on the tin and understood "quick, what's this?" whenever a worm or slug had been found by us and they'd leave whatever to run to us full speed !
Our newest 3 (Cream Legbar', RIR & Welsummer) after 3wks are showing they're every bit as smart.....
Names almost learnt, respond to the whistle even when my kids try, know treat tin, and the RIR comes when called to unlucky worms & slugs etc ! All 3 'talk' - the larger 2 almost constantly but the Legbar has a tiny voice to match her stature lol.
The RIR follows me whatever I'm doing or comes running over 'shouts/squarks' at me obviously telling me something, then goes back to join the others ??? Just wish I could understand her lol.
My point is - don't anyone call chickens "dumb" !!

Back
Top Bottom